Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #1

Share |

foundation question.

I am in the process of purchasing a home in Northern ME, The winters get pretty cold. The house was erected 2 years ago and is unfinished. The construction is done very well. My concern is the foundation. The house is built on a Monolithic slab with the outside footings being 16-18 inches deep. It is built on a gravel bank with plenty of good drainage. The slab had a vapor barrior under it but no insulation. As I mentioned before the house is two years old and I see no signs of cracking or heaving on the foundation. It seems solid. Should I be concerned with anything. I want to put radiant floor heating ontop of the slab. I am getting the house at an extreamly good price because the contractor who is building it (and owns it) is hitting some really hard times. any info pro or con about the foundation would be a great help

Thanks

Gebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

foundation question.

I would contact a local installer of raidiant heat what he thinks for guaranteeing the performance of s system installed on an uninsulated slab.

Pay particular attention to whether he is just trying to sell a job or give you an honest answer.

The cool soil will soak up a lot of the heat. the soil down a few feet will be about 55 degrees, so that has to warm up to get the floor warm.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

foundation question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebby View Post
I am in the process of purchasing a home in Northern ME, The winters get pretty cold. The house was erected 2 years ago and is unfinished. The construction is done very well. My concern is the foundation. The house is built on a Monolithic slab with the outside footings being 16-18 inches deep. It is built on a gravel bank with plenty of good drainage. The slab had a vapor barrior under it but no insulation. As I mentioned before the house is two years old and I see no signs of cracking or heaving on the foundation. It seems solid. Should I be concerned with anything. I want to put radiant floor heating ontop of the slab. I am getting the house at an extreamly good price because the contractor who is building it (and owns it) is hitting some really hard times. any info pro or con about the foundation would be a great help

Thanks
16 to 18" deep foundation? please clarify this. 42" is MINIMUM code here in NJ, I would think deeper up in Maine
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

foundation question.

It sounds like it is just a structural floating slab with a thickened edge for stifness that goes where mother nature wants it to go. If the soil under it is uniform and not on a slope, it works reasonably well, but sucks when it comes to insulation/heating.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #5

foundation question.

it is a 5 1/2 thick slab that is 16 inches deep on the outsid edges (footing) it is all one piece (monolithic). I am used to pouring a slab and having a footer about 4 ft down around the edges. I'm curious if this is going to cause major problems down the road!

Gebby
Gebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

foundation question.

Ayuh,.....

I see Garages on floating slabs All the time,.....
But,....
I've Never seen a House that didn't have foundation Footers that Didn't go atleast as deep as normal Frost lines,....
Which would probably be 4' in your area......

I'd Keep Looking for another house...........
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #7
Crabby Bastard

foundation question.

to Bondo's point, it's not a great deal if you are going to have problems because it was done incorrectly.

If i were you, i'd be paying for the advice of a professional engineer on this one

terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote