Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #1

Share |

Foundation question

I am building a 10x10 addition on the rear of my house for a laundry room. I have already contacted the city and am in the process of obtaining the permits. They had checked my preliminary drawings and everything looks good. I head down tomorrow to show them my finished plans. Here in Norfolk, VA the footers need to go to a minimum depth of 12. My plan is to have 16 wide footers with 12 of depth. Then I will lay one layer 8x8x16 cinderblocks. I will also have 18 long threaded rod in the concrete. I will then attach a 2x8 sill on top of the blocks using the threaded rod. Couple of questions:
1) How far apart do I need to place each rod? 16?
2) Where do I buy threaded rod? Checked Home Depot and they only had rebar and had no clue when I asked them about threaded rod for foundations.

Thanks
71Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #2

Foundation question

Did some searching and I think I found what I need regarding spacing.

1/2" diameter 18" J bolts spaced 12" from each corner and each end. Then 4' O.C. after that.

So for a 10x10 addition (3, 10' walls) I will use a total of 9 J bolts. One placed 12" from each end and corner and one halfway down each 10' wall. Does this sound correct?

Still not sure where to buy these.

Last edited by 71Whaler; 05-31-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Foundation question

I bought 12 inch J-bolts at a big box store not long ago. I don't recall seeing 18 inch bolts there, you may have to go to a real lumber supply house. I would suggest grouting the voids in the block, this will strengthen the J-bolts as well. Use hot dipped galvanized bolts, cost more than ordinary steel, but will last much longer. By the way, if you grout the holes in the block, you may be able to use 8 or 12 inch J bolts, check with your building inspector.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #4

Foundation question

Thanks. I will do that tomorrow. The 18" size was based on a diagram the inspector gave me to show how he wanted the plans drawn up. The example was for a larger addition so I may be able to drop it to 12". I had planned on grouting the voids in the block.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Foundation question

I've always ordered them from McMaster Carr.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #6

Foundation question

Don't forget to use Drylock (or similar) between the concrete and any PRESSURE TREATED wood. Always use PT against concrete, which means galvanized bolts.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:20 AM   #7

Foundation question

"Always use PT against concrete, which means galvanized bolts."

A question: I thought the new chemical(s) being used for PT wood eat up galvanized metal and stainless or coated fasteners are needed?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
Civil Engineer

Foundation question

Bob22 is correct, the majority of PT sold today is ACQ, which contains a high percentage of copper. The copper is capable of interacting with ordinary galvanized bolts and causing damage. However, there seems to be considerable debate as to whether hot dipped galvanized bolts (rather than other types of galvanized bolts) can resist attack from ACQ lumber. I put my entire deck together using hot dipped galvanized bolts, and of course PT lumber, and after almost a year there seems to be no reaction. The vast majority of decks I have seen are built using galvanized bolts, many of which are not hot dipped. Of course, many older decks do not use ACQ lumber.

There is the option of using stainless bolts, but they are expensive, and not so easy to find. Also, there are over 100 varieties of stainless steel, and most varieties of stainless steel are not specifically rated for contact with ACQ lumber. Chances are even if you find stainless bolts, you are not necessarily going to know if that specific bolt is rated for contact with ACQ lumber. This is a difficult problem which I have not seen a definitive answer to.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Foundation question

Some info regarding ACQ wood and types of fasteners to use.

http://www.ufpi.com/literature/acqfastener-216.pdf
http://awc.org/helpoutreach/faq/faqFiles/Corrosion.html
http://www.strongtie.com/productuse/ptwoodfaqs.html
http://www.swst.org/meetings/AM06/zelinka.pdf
http://www.state.nj.us/dca/codes/ccc...s/ccc_sp04.pdf
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:56 AM   #10

Foundation question

Yes, I've always been told hot dipped galv or SS, but after reading those links a little bit I am beginning to wonder WTH to use. This is nutso. Why the H have PT wood if you "can't" (maybe) hold it in place? I wish I had a 55 gal drum of creosote....
Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #11

Foundation question

Jklingel: I didn't read all the links but the Simpson one seems most detailed with supporting data. I'm guessing that galvanized (hot dipped not electroplated) would work. Have you asked the local authority what they want to see? Eventually it will come down to that.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #12
Concrete & Masonry

Foundation question

I've always been under the impression that hot-dipped works with the modern ACQ.

As for finding the 18" anchor/J-bolts, if you have a Fastenal, they'll certainly be able to get them within a day or two. I would also try to order them from a local hardware store. That's actually where i order most of mine from.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #13

Foundation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Jklingel: I'm guessing that galvanized (hot dipped not electroplated) would work.
I am hoping that by next year, people KNOW, but I suspect the jury will still be out somewhat. I want fasteners that will last the life of the building, like everyone else wants. This stinks. I think I will start looking for SS j-bolts. I wonder if a roofing tar smeared on the bolts and under the washers would help. Further research is in order here. Thanks again to the two engineers who supplied the critical info. j
Old 06-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #14

Foundation question

I know Paslode makes ACQ rated nails ....hot dipped.
If hot dipped nails work than bolts should be just fine....

http://www.paslode.com/nails/galvanized-framing/
http://www.paslode.com/uploadedFiles/ESR-1539.pdf
Attached Images

SteelToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #15

Foundation question

Got my permits today. Turns out I only need to use 7" minium J bolts for the size addition I am doing. These should be easier to find. I think I was confusing the guy at HD when I was calling it threaded rod. Thanks for the tips about the bolts.

Another question: Our plan calls for 12" deep footers by 16" width. Do I need to use rebar in the footing to reinforce or can I just pour the concrete into the mold and level? My father, who is assisting on this project seems to think for this size footing we do not need rebar to reinforce. I want to make sure it is set up correctly before we have the inspector come visit. We plan to start digging out the footers next week.

Thanks again.