Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #1

Share |

Foundation Problems

I am not looking for do it yourself advice rather general information. I have a foundation where about 1/2 is wood laid on the ground and the rest is either cinder block or concrete. I am looking for cost effective solutions to replacing the part of the foundation that is wood on grade.

That part looks like two 6" x 4"'s laying one on top of eachother. The bottom one is in contact with the ground and is partially rotted underneath and the top one I believe acts as the sill plate and is in good shape.

Any "helpful" ideas are welcome.

Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #2

Foundation Problems

Post some pictures. The 6" x4" thing is also confusing.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Foundation Problems

Concrete block is generally less costly than concrete as a foundation material. May also be easier for a DIYer to install than concrete. Wooden foundations are used sometimes, but there are always issues with rot, I don't care what kind of wood you use, to my mind wooden foundations are trouble. In New England, fieldstone foundations were common, if you have fieldstone available, are a competent mason, and there are no code issues, you can build a very low cost foundation with fieldstone, however it takes skill and time.

Down south pier and beam foundations are often used. This is a very low cost solution, however the house is typically not attached to the pier very well, and can float away or blow away in a severe storm. Pier and beam is typically not a code approved technique, however if you are not governed by code, and are looking for the absolute cheapest option, that's it.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:49 AM   #4

Foundation Problems

dan, does anyone still sell cinder block ? in ny, nj, ct, & pa, once the wtr started infiltrating thru those walls, it wouldn't take long for the soil acids to eat the cement's lime & cause the rot,,, good $$$ replacing collapsed foundations we're build several in augusta w/conc block piers/ p/t wood beams for crawl spaces - never liked 'em but those were the specs never thought the engineered wood fnd walls were worth a da'n, either

support the house & rip out the wood, replace w/conc footer per local code & frost conditions, then conc block - not as good as complete concrete but, if built correctly and waterproofed right, its the best bang for the $$$

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #5

Foundation Problems

The bottom of photo shows wood on ground, on top of that is sill plate, on top of that is floor joist and at the very top of the photo you can see a little of the tounge and grove flooring. the beam on the ground is rotting a little on the underside.
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote