Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #1

Share |

Foundation Patch: Hydrolic Cement??

Greetings: I have concrete slabs that butt up against an alley next to my foundation. Every winter water pools alongside my foundation and drains into my basement.

I had used a quik-mix cement last fall and with the severe Midwest temperature extremes it broke up allowing the pooled water from the entire alley to drain into my basement. When I discovered the break, the water was draining with vortexes..It was major.

I got roofing cement, which can be applied underwater and sealed up the holes which stopped the water.

What is the best way to patch this so it will withstand the extremes? The roofing cement seems to work well and has prevented any water. However, as my photoes show there is more patch breaking up.

Should I just remove the broken up concrete patch and put a good layer of roofing cement or would hydrolic cement work better and be more permanent?

The way the alley drains and the fact that the snowplows that come thru the alley create an icedam means I can expect this issue to continue.

Thanks,

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation Patch: Hydrolic Cement??-img_0272.jpg   Foundation Patch: Hydrolic Cement??-img_0277.jpg   Foundation Patch: Hydrolic Cement??-img_0274.jpg   Foundation Patch: Hydrolic Cement??-img_0276.jpg  

Last edited by roztom; 09-01-2008 at 11:56 AM.
roztom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Yes, clean up the areas, remove loose material, and try Hydraulic cement (Water stop cement). It also has supperior abilities to adhere to other cement/concrete.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #3

Should I cement over the loose pieces that are cracked but still in place or just open up where it is loose?

Would you cement over all of the previous intact cement with Hydrolic cement to make it stronger?

Tom
Old 09-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #4

Remove all loose cement/mortar in the keyways & cracks.

Attempt to scrape out the older material, so that you can push the Hydraulic cement into the keyways & cracks.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #5

THanks..

As far as the intact cement, should I just put a layer over it all, even against the foundation bricks as shown in the photos, which seem intact?

tom
Old 09-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

I would suggest removing whats there and regrading and re pouring new concrete. There was a lip in the second picture where the slab had raised. creating a tripping hazard, which you as a home owner will be liable for.
Also securing something that is above frost level to something that is not makes me think that the slab will still heave during the cold season breaking away from the foundation creating another crack, I feel you will be patching this a least once a year. the cracks should be telling you something. Just my thoughts, I'm looking for the long time solution for your problem. Good Luck BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
I would suggest removing whats there and regrading and re pouring new concrete. There was a lip in the second picture where the slab had raised. creating a tripping hazard, which you as a home owner will be liable for.
Also securing something that is above frost level to something that is not makes me think that the slab will still heave during the cold season breaking away from the foundation creating another crack, I feel you will be patching this a least once a year. the cracks should be telling you something. Just my thoughts, I'm looking for the long time solution for your problem. Good Luck BOB
Thanks bob, I was thinking the same thing because of the horizontal layout.

I proposed the Hydraulic cement based on clean removal of the previously applied masonry materials. This is a try and apply...and see what takes/happens, ....situation....
Old 09-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #8

Considering I am looking to patch the cracks and where the other cement didn't take. If I understood correctly, I should chisel out the small cracks to make them a bit larger and then push the hydroulic cement into the cracks and also put a thick coat over the cracked areas.

Where the pieces are broken up, I would remove any loose pieces and then patch over the whole area where all the seams are between the pieces.

Will that do it?

Tom
Old 09-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

I would be inclined to use something more flexible than hydraulic cement. Something that will absorb the expansion and contraction with the changing seasons. Something like a pourable urethane sealant.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #10

Can you give me an example of the material, brand, etc..

THanks
Old 09-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Chem Caulk 550 is one I've used. Tremco THC900 is another. Pourable urethanes are available in single and 2 component varieties. THC 900 comes in a two gallon pail. A color pack is available to match your concrete. Eucolastic is another name, although it is owned by the same company as Tremco. You might be able to find one in a single gallon container. I've never looked as most of our jobs are bigger than that. whatever you use, follow the manufacturer's directions for joint prep and size. I think a flexible material will stay in place longer in your application.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #12

Interesting stuff. Seems there are a lot of these type sealers.

Are those tubes very expensive (Curious only)? Does the surface need much Prep for good adhesion?

BTW, is this stuff avail at the usual retail outlets, Menards, Home Depot, etc? I've found polyurethane construction adhesive in 10 oz tubes. Is this the stuff?

BTW, I have HUGE garbage/Waste Mgmt trucks coming down this alley. My house sometimes shakes when they drive by. Will this stuff or anything else, take that kind of stress/movement?

THanks,

Tom

Last edited by roztom; 09-02-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #13
Mold!! Let's kill it!

The pourable sealant will come in a bucket and is liquid. I've never looked in a box store. They may have some hidden somewhere. Urethane construction adhesive is not what you want. Urethane caulk like Sikaflex would be OK, but will not work as well as a pourable. If you have heavy traffic next to this area, then you definitely want something flexible that will absorb movement
Old 09-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #14

your 1st method of trying to seal a ' moving crack ' w/solid pourable material will always fail,,, even IF the conc were jointed, i doubt prep was done to spec,,, use a sealant - sikaflex's fine but non-sag grade should be ' tooled ' for proper adhesion,,, install at the proper jnt width:depth ratio or you'll lose cohesion,,, ONLY 2sided adhesion - EXTREMELY important to install a bond-breaker at the btm.

this is the same repair method we used on runways, aprons, bdges, & hgwys so an alley garbage trk should be a pc of cake,,, JUST PREP THE CRK RIGHT ! ! !

Last edited by yesitsconcrete; 09-03-2008 at 07:11 AM.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #15

The dirt under some of these cracks has washed away. It is basically a hole. Can I still get this stuff to adhere without support at those cracks?

Tom