Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Foundation/Outside Wall Issue

I live in Anchorage AK, our house was built in 1952 and the concrete foundation was inspected by an engineer when we moved in three years ago. The problem is, the top of the foundation wall next to a crawlspace vent is pretty badly cracked and is off-setting the attached wall to the outside such that the drywall is cracked. Looking at the foundation, I don't think that the cracking of the foundation is moving the wall, rather I think the wall is cracking the foundation. The cracks do not go very far vertically into the foundation, it's really just the top that is "chipping" at a weak spot next to the vent about 8 inches below the sillplate.

Just above the cracked area is a place in the wall where there are 4-5 studs all stacked up next to each other and this area gets particularly cold in winter as there is no insulation. When it's down below zero and we have something against the wall in that area, there has even been frost that has formed on the inside.

Here's my question: Would the expansion/contraction of the studs in this area be great enough to crack the foundation? If so, would removing one of the studs be necessary or is there some other solution?

billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I seriously doubt that the framed walls' movement would cause or justify the foundation damage. I'd attribute the foundation cracking to water, freeze/thaw, bearing erosion, soil pressure, etc. Foundations cause framing damage, not the other way around.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #3

Foundations cause framing damage, not the other way around.[/quote]

That's what I would tend to think as well, but the area of the foundation that is cracked is fairly small, about 2 square feet maybe, and does not go all the way through so it does not seem capable of causing the wall to move.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
it's really just the top that is "chipping" at a weak spot next to the vent about 8 inches below the sillplate.
Just above the cracked area is a place in the wall where there are 4-5 studs all stacked up next to each other
Ayuh,...

What do you guys call that,.?? a King post,..??

It sounds like there's a Big Load being carried, Right on top of that Vent...

I'd think jacking,+ leveling, as well as repairing the foundation is going to be quite a chore...
I don't think taking 2x4s Out of there is the issue, But spreading the Weight being carried by them Is...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #5

That makes sense. Luckily the impacted area is not that large and I think I can get in there, prop up the wall, remove the busted concrete, then build a form to replace it... next summer that is.