Foundation Options For Detached Garage - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Foundation options for detached garage

First post here, thanks for the help in advance. I am looking to build a 14'X19' 1 story detached workshop in my back yard. It will not have a car in it, just some wood working tools and a computer. The frost line in my area is 12". Given the size and small load that will be placed on the foundation, do I even need a deep footing? Working on a budget I am trying to figure out the most cost effective way to put down a foundation and floor. I can do just a slab, a slab with footing, or just the footing with cinder blocks and the run subflooring across the blocks.

Any in put is really appreciated.
Thanks

Advertisement

boogle1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Ask your local Building Department what type of foundation they require at this size auxiliary structure.

Advertisement

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogle1234 View Post
First post here, thanks for the help in advance. I am looking to build a 14'X19' 1 story detached workshop in my back yard. It will not have a car in it, just some wood working tools and a computer. The frost line in my area is 12". Given the size and small load that will be placed on the foundation, do I even need a deep footing? Working on a budget I am trying to figure out the most cost effective way to put down a foundation and floor. I can do just a slab, a slab with footing, or just the footing with cinder blocks and the run subflooring across the blocks.

Any in put is really appreciated.
Thanks

Quick answer, It depends on the code in your area. But I'm pretty sure you can get away with a slab. I know here anything under 500 sq/f and “detached” can be built on slab and our frost line is 4'.
Good soil type (drains well) plays a big part
Nammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Carpenter

Rewards Points: 75

In most areas, a non living structure, like sheds don't require footings if you don't want them. You can pour a slab just like pouring your driveway. Depends on dimensions and overall size of the structure, the same criteria will dictate if you need a permit or not as well.

Call the permits and inspections office and they should be able to clarify that over the phone fairly quickly.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)
dtsman is offline   Reply With Quote