Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #1

Share |
Question

foundation leaks

Hi,

I am intending to finish my basement but want to repair tie rod leaks in the poured concrete foundation permanently before proceeding. These are roughly 5/8" holes that have been patched with cement on the outside and inside with the center being hollow (I've drilled out the inside on some). A few of these have leaked when we get heavy rain and when the snow melts in the spring.

I've done a lot of internet research and it appears using either hydraulic cement or polyurethane injection are the appropriate method to repair. I want the fix to be permanent and would like your input on which repair would be longer lasting. One site selling polyurethane injection materials mentioned that hydrophilic material wouldn't last as long as hydrophobic polyurethane as it breaks down with repeated wet dry cycles.

The holes are dry at this point so water isn't a concern.

I would appreciate any input regarding the best repair method.

Thanks.

fixonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

foundation leaks

They should have been repaired from the outside, in order to make them to not allow water intrusion.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #3

foundation leaks

Thanks for your quick response.

The original builder (house is 20 years old) did fix the holes inside and out with what I assume is hydraulic cement. Some of the holes are leaking and I'd like to fix them from the inside. I can drill out the holes and push hydraulic cement out with a dowel or inject polyurethane which should expand to the outside.

The part of the foundation involved is covered by concrete and a deck so it's not practical to dig and fix from outside.
fixonce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, foundation, leak, leaks, rod