Foundation Issue - House Heaves In Cold Weather - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Foundation Issue - House Heaves in Cold Weather

We have a two story townhome built by a pond. No one can figure out why the walls separate from the ceilings and floors once it gets cold. Many windows have broken seal. The attic and crawl space have been examined by numerous professionals who just shrug their shoulders. The identical units on either side of us have no problems.

There has to be someone out there who has seen this situation and can help us with a solution. Once Spring arrives, everything comes back together and looks great. Each year the areas affected grow so that the entire perimeter of both floors shows spaces. Doors and windows are off kilter too.

We've been told that every home settles. Well, this is not normal settling! Please help if you can. Thanks.

Advertisement

Lewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,470

Foundation Issue - House Heaves in Cold Weather

had 1 of those in nj - warren cty,,, same thing happened to mine every winter finally i just look'd the other way in winter my theory was, since i was the corner t/h, the adjoining unit was on a different ' run ' of the foundation - never could find as-builts so its still theory.

you're right - its NOT normal settling,,, see if your hoa will have some soil samples taken for a pe/lab to test,,, several spots of full depth excavation will also help,,, all these yrs & still can't look thru the ground

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote