Foundation/driveway Gaps - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

foundation/driveway gaps

I have a 1941 home. Driveway redone 1983. House foundation clay brick. Driveway poured concrete. I was told its from settling, but the gap between the house and the driveway is now an 1/8-1/4". Husband used some black tar like crap (not male bashing) and it cracked where gap line runs around the house. What do I use to close that gap, water in basement last year, and I'm pretty sure thats the problem. Going to get estimates but would like your opinions so I can have a heads up when contractors come out. I keep reading about injectable randon seal and no clue what works and yet will still look fine being the contrast between gray concrete and the red/ faded red look of the clay brick.

Advertisement

LLJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

foundation/driveway gaps

Sika makes an elastic, self leveling material perfect for this. It's applied with either a small or large caulking gun. If the crevice is deep, you can install backer rod to minimize the material.
You can find it in masonary supply stores and big box stores.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
LLJean (03-28-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,472

foundation/driveway gaps

if you're lucky, that's the source of the wtr but i'll bet that condition continues.

nevertheless, the ' gap ' calls for joint sealing w/elastomeric sealants,,, we prefer sika as it comes in colors ( not at any apron store, tho ) avail thru any pro const supply house,,, use backer rod to prevent installing it at an incorrect depth:width ratio,,, the w/site will give you proper directions,,, joint sidewall prep is critical to performance,,, btw, NO repair is permanent so anticipate replacement in ( 6 ? ) yrs,,, good luck !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stadry For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (03-26-2011), LLJean (03-28-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

foundation/driveway gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
if you're lucky, that's the source of the wtr but i'll bet that condition continues.

nevertheless, the ' gap ' calls for joint sealing w/elastomeric sealants,,, we prefer sika as it comes in colors ( not at any apron store, tho ) avail thru any pro const supply house,,, use backer rod to prevent installing it at an incorrect depth:width ratio,,, the w/site will give you proper directions,,, joint sidewall prep is critical to performance,,, btw, NO repair is permanent so anticipate replacement in ( 6 ? ) yrs,,, good luck !
The local Home Depots here carry the Sika products in tan and gray.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote