Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #1

Share |

Foundation damage present on interior/exterior wall

I recently moved into a ~100 year old house owned by my family. It consists of a single story with a partially finished basement. The laundry/furnace/storage room is the only room with actual exposed foundation walls, and they look pretty solid EXCEPT for this:

Not the best picture, but I believe it shows: lime? Is this due to water damage over the years? Also, the larger conglomerate stone that seems to be common in older foundations is not entirely stable; a couple of pieces have fallen out in the last year. The house suffers from the sort of typical but unremarkable problems like: slightly uneven floors, sticky windows, cracked plaster where there's still plaster, etc. The white 'lime' stains are also visible on above-grade exterior foundation walls.

Now, supposing that whoever finished the basement simply covered up walls with similar appearances without doing much to mitigate drainage and moisture issues (i believe some of the finished walls are old plaster and lathe and possibly uninsulated wallboard/2X4 construction) is this ultimately a big problem or is this type of damage common to old concrete?

There is, actually, a true void in the foundation near the front of the house and some leaks through similar looking conglomerate rock areas of the wall.

Void and (possibly settlement) crack

Another area with larger conglomerate stones that at one point had a steady water drip during a strong rainstorm.

Any opinions? I apologize for the giant images; I didn't have much luck resizing them.
Mesocyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:46 AM   #2

you can repair this but how many yrs do you want it to last,,, i'd just lift up the house 1/2" & put a new foundation & fnd wall system in,,, we had the same think in 1 of our houses ( 1860's ) & we're presently working on another now ( 1900's )

fwiw, i'd have a soils engineer's report & recommendations in hand when designing the footer & walls..
itsreallyconc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. So the bottom line is that any repair is simply not going to cut it?

I think eventually it might be feasible (financially) to redo it, but what is a typical quote for that kind of job, assuming they have to excavate, jack the house, pour the foundation, redo drainage tiling/pipe, waterproof the foundation and then do any retrofitting that needs to be done on the house itself? This sounds like some big money, correct? Is there any logic whatsoever is doing temporary repairs to last until that job can be done (if ever) or is it better just to leave it alone so long as the house isn't currently moving?
Mesocyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #4

Had a few quotes to replace existing block with 110linear feet of new block/drainage, all came in around $14,000. Not including any landscaping, or difficult circumstance (just a simple ranch house, lift and go)
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote