Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2009, 07:31 AM   #1

Share |

Foundation Crack

I noticed that I have a void / crack at the bottom of one of my foundation walls at the footer. I have attached a photograph. There was also water / dampness under my slab. This was found when the slab was jack-hammered. Should I be concerned about the void / crack from a structural perspective?

I also have a large piece of my foundation wall missing at the top. The sill plate hangs over the missing portion. The photograph is attached. Should this be a concern?

Thanks,

CD
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation Crack-20081008foundationcrack2.jpg   Foundation Crack-top-foundation-wall-sill-plate.jpg  

gohoyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #2

Foundation Crack

Based upon the info given the answers are yes and yes. But the answers might change to no with more info. It would be best to have someone look at it because there are many factors that come into play that could be missed by not being there.

The first photo shows the footer and wall bottom covered by lots of debris so it is difficult to determine the size of the gap at the bottom. Sometimes footers look a little rough on top but the wall should conform to the roughness. Is there an actual gap between the footer and wall and is it the full thickness of the wall? How long is the gap?

On the second picture what loads are on the unsupported portion of the sill plate and how big of span is unsupported?

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Next Time...New Build

Foundation Crack

As Jogr stated, some clearer pics would help.

I would be most concerned about the missing foundation where the sill plates are. Based on the pics, it looks like it was never there and/or fell off when the forms came down. The sill seal looks like a clean cut and not continued to the other wall..?? A little more insight as to when this came down would help.

Why was there jackhammering on the floor? Is the crack where the floor meets the foundation wall?

Some more info would be greatly beneficial.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:46 AM   #4

Foundation Crack

Thanks for the response. In the first foto, it becomes a little more clearer if you are able to download the photo and then zoom in on the "void". When I pointed out the void to the builder, the slab was poured almost immediately afterwards so I no longer have access to take more photos. It was very clear that water was coming in under the slab through the void when the original slab was removed. Some of the stone from the foundation drain around the home had washed through the void. The gap is between the foundation wall and the footer and it is also the full thickness. I would say the length was 6 to 8 inches.

On the second photo of the sill plate, there is a floor joist sitting on the very end of the sill plate which is not visible from the picture. I have a three story home and that wall is just below my family room on the main level of the home. The piece of foundation wall has been missing since I purchased the home. I keep finding additional small pieces of concrete that are falling out a little at a time from beneath the sill plate. The void under the sill plate right now is about 8 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
Based upon the info given the answers are yes and yes. But the answers might change to no with more info. It would be best to have someone look at it because there are many factors that come into play that could be missed by not being there.

The first photo shows the footer and wall bottom covered by lots of debris so it is difficult to determine the size of the gap at the bottom. Sometimes footers look a little rough on top but the wall should conform to the roughness. Is there an actual gap between the footer and wall and is it the full thickness of the wall? How long is the gap?

On the second picture what loads are on the unsupported portion of the sill plate and how big of span is unsupported?
gohoyas is offline   Reply With Quote