Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Foundation bolts

I am building a new garage (attached) on a monolithic pour. The walls will be framed and covered with plywood then stood up into place. My question is this:Can I use anchor bolts (wedge or epoxy) to anchor the wall to the foundation after the wall is up instead of placing the 'J' type anchors into the pour? I do not want to have to deal with the anchors being in the way when the wall is raised. The walls are 22' and 32' long and 9'6" tall. One contractor tells me no problem, another says he doesn't think so. The IRC doesn't make this clear and only uses the phrase 'anchor bolts'. Any opinions on this? Thanks for your help.

cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Crabby Bastard

Rewards Points: 75

Foundation bolts

unless you have a local building code that specifies precast anchors, i don't see why you couldn't use a post-pour anchor system. for a wall you may want to go with epoxy since you will be close to an unsupported slab edge.

if you are in florida or an area prone to hurricanes and tornados you really want to look into this. there is a whole seperate rule book for these areas and everything is pretty clearly spec'd out with little room for variation

terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Foundation bolts

Thanks. The area is Wyoming. From some engineering papers I read the determining factor in all this is not the anchor shear but the sill plate shear, about 850 lbs. As long as the anchor is at or above that protection level it shouldn't matter if it is pre or post pour. How do professionals deal with standing a wall up on a flat slab with pre-placed J bolt anchors? I can't picture how you would do this!
cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
Crabby Bastard

Rewards Points: 75

Foundation bolts

as long as the holes are spotted correctly iall you need to do is tilt it in place , put up some temp bracing, and screw on the nuts and washers.

It's a breeze IF the anchors are exactly where the engineer said they should be, which is seldom the case (although it's much better now with all the new technology)!!

If you ever get the chance to see a commercial tilt wall job going up, stop and check it out, its wild to see it first hand. it's very similiar to playing with Legos, just on a MUCH larger scale
terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Foundation bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne View Post
Thanks. The area is Wyoming. From some engineering papers I read the determining factor in all this is not the anchor shear but the sill plate shear, about 850 lbs. As long as the anchor is at or above that protection level it shouldn't matter if it is pre or post pour. How do professionals deal with standing a wall up on a flat slab with pre-placed J bolt anchors? I can't picture how you would do this!
It's done BEFORE the plywood is attached. One person can do it if there's no wind...
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Foundation bolts

Why don't you just ask your local building inspector what is acceptable in your township/county/region?
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Foundation bolts

Epoxy setting of threaded rod is common, although more expensive then using J-bolts during the initial pour.

Worse case scenario building department may want an engineer to spec the depth/size of rod and strength of epoxy (normally SET-22 costing $ 24.00 a tube for the doubles)