Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #1

Share |

Found water damage and rotted wood, please help!

Hello everyone! I'm not sure if this is the correct section to post this question. Anyway, here goes.

I'm currently remodling by basement, and came across a little problem once I removed all of the sheetrock and insulation from the ceiling, I came across what seems to be a water stain mark on the plywood about the joist.

With a little more investigation I noticed that the wood is rotting from the outside where my deck connects to the walll and an entire beam that runs horizontally across the window sill and into the concrete foundation is completely rotted. How do I go about repairing this problem? I cannot complete my project until this problem is fixed.

Also? How do I remove a basement window?

I've taken the liberty of posting some pictures for claritys sake.
http://www.redlightblinking.com/house_pics/pics.html

Thank you all,
Spyguy

Last edited by spyguy; 02-17-2007 at 10:16 AM.
spyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #2

It looks like you have some major water damage there. I don't know your level of handiness so off hand I'd say ask around for a good carpenter that ain't your average weekend warrior repair work.

Zero Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

A perfect example of why to not attach a deck to a rim joist.

You may find out you have some rotten joists and sill plates. Now it the time to find all the rot and stop it.

You will probably have to detach the deck and put in proper flashing, etc. after the rot is repaired. I may even be easier to make the deck free-standing.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #4

Thank you for your reply! I was hoping that there would be an easy fix to this problem, basically I was hoping that I can do the repair myself. What questions should I ask any potential contractors about this problem? In order to protect myself from getting rippedd off.

Thanks,
Spyguy
Old 02-19-2007, 06:56 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Thank you for your reply! I was hoping that there would be an easy fix to this problem, basically I was hoping that I can do the repair myself. What questions should I ask any potential contractors about this problem? In order to protect myself from getting rippedd off.

Thanks,
Spyguy
.....You make it sound like the 'field' of contractors is swarming with sharks.....and rip-off artists....When it is not....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:06 AM   #6

Important point to understand is that there could be more damage than what you are seeing. Repairs may require the removal of the deck itself, since it may have been installed incorrectly against the home's structure and there could be more potential problems to come unless the whole area is fixed....just trying to prepare you for this possibility...

Does your home owner's policy cover such damage?

Good questions to ask the Contractor:

License?, insurance info, experience with this particular issue? (We have done many moisture damage repairs like this)
Do they have references? (Call and check into)
What kind of warranty do they offer.
Will they clean up the work area daily?
Trust your gut when having a discussion with a potential contractor
... It's like a guy taking your teenage daughter out on a first date....'Interview' the person....

Remember that you get what you pay for. General rule is to go for the the middle price (from a PROFESSIONAL contractor)....NOT the cheapest price you get...
....Your house is your biggest investment and besides being concerned with the costs - You don't want some 'hack' tearing into your home and doing sub-standard or poor work either.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #7

No offense, I did not mean to sound like all contractors or cons or rippoffs, I have known people from my complex who have been ripped off by many contractor, that is why I'm proceeding with caution.

I'm currently livining in a townhouse, what you would call a "PUD" (Planed urban developement). Pretty much all repairs and maintenance or done by the owners, but I will look into our home owners policy.

I had a couple of contractors stop by this AM to asses the damage, and from what they are saying it's really not that bad. The sill is completly rotted,due to water damage and probably termites (hope not). it is definetley the way the decks were installed that is causing this problem. we did look for other damaged areas and came across another small spot, which is not as bad as those showed in the pictures.

The plan for now is just to get my ceiling complete in my basement, since the sill can be replaced from the living room, which will be worked on during in the spring along with the outside work.

Thank's
Spyguy
Old 02-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
No offense, I did not mean to sound like all contractors or cons or rippoffs, I have known people from my complex who have been ripped off by many contractor, that is why I'm proceeding with caution.
Thank's
Spyguy
Then...again, I don't know your area. Your area could, for one reason or another have alot of scam artists....
In my area you have your hack 'self-proclaimed' contractors and your guys, who claim that 'they can do it all'...but don't know much about building, framing, remodeling, etc....

I haven't heard of many rippoffs at all in my areas. I guess, maybe the state licensing may help that? I don't know.....

Again, maybe your area has a higher amount of guys to be weary of....?

Good Luck on your repairs...
Old 02-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
Construction Guru

You may want to hold off on finishing that ceiling. To effectively replace the sill, they will need to jack up the floor a little to allow removal and replacement of the rotted wood. Also, when they are replacing the rotted wood, have them install a treated two-by band where the deck attaches. The flashing by itself is never enough because you put holes in it when you nail the deck to the house. Depending on your skill level, you possibly can do the repairs yourself.
sheeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeter View Post
You may want to hold off on finishing that ceiling. To effectively replace the sill, they will need to jack up the floor a little to allow removal and replacement of the rotted wood. Also, when they are replacing the rotted wood, have them install a treated two-by band where the deck attaches. The flashing by itself is never enough because you put holes in it when you nail the deck to the house. Depending on your skill level, you possibly can do the repairs yourself.
Actually, a method that we regularly use when installing decks is:

Install Ice & Water shield up the exposed bare surface of the existing structure's sheathing surface located adjacent to the deck. This areas would be where you remove the siding to install the ledger and the flashing. (On top of the wall sheathing- This is where you would normally install house wrap and siding...)

Between the water and ice shield layer and the new PT ledger -install either PT shims or washers in order to solidly build out the ledger so that there is a 'space' between it and the water and ice shield. This is for moisture drainage. There is actually a company that also sells specific washers for this application and .... "This Old 'Place'" ...also did an article about installing this way a fews years back in their mag....
Remember that the Water & ice shield will seal up around any attachement holes....

We also use a 'dap' of silicone on the lags before installing thru the deck ledger into the home's rim joist.

Last, the flashing material to use is COPPER-flashing .... rather than aluminum, since the new PT lumber treatment will react to most other metals (exception: Galv., copper, & Stainless)....It is code in most towns in our area.... (again, if any nails are placed they will be sealed by the water and ice shield, however, we do not nail this copper flashing in since there is already a weather tight membrane sealing the exterior wall)

These are just few points to consider when hiring a 'contractor' to do a deck repair...(or doing it yourself).... that should be considered....

(BTW-Generally-there is no need to 'jack up' a floor unless it has sagged for some reason. Instead. it is braced with temp. supports and then the replacement work is done. We only jack up areas if they have sagged .... because 'jacking up' floors can also separate things that you do not want separated and are not part of the repair area.....)

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-20-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #11
Chief Fungus Fighter

I'd also suggest some fungicide (fungicide...NOT bleach) to spray on things since you have some growth happening there.
MoldBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #12

Thank you! Any particular brand i should use for this?