Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #1

Share |

Found unflashed ledger board while replacing decking

I'm looking for some advice on a deck project that's growing by the day.

My deck extends 12' from my back door, is 18' wide, and roughly 2.5' above ground.

I ripped up all the decking due to progressing rot. The joists all seems to be rot free so I thought I was clear until I looked at the frame. I found the following:

1) joist hangers were only used on the ledger board. The joists are nailed to the far end. I think they were only nailed because the posts and double joists are approx. 10' out leaving about 2' overhang for the decking support joists.

2) the more concerning issue is that the ledger board was attached over vinyl siding with no flashing. For the most part there is a 1/4 to 1 inch gap between the ledger and the siding. My house fireplace extends 1.5' into the deck so the ledger wraps around it. On the one side there is no gap between the vinyl siding and the ledger board. The ledger board appears to be in great shape.

Are there any recommendations on how to proceed?

Do I need to worry about the flashing? Or is the gap allowing enough airflow for the deck to dry out?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Found unflashed ledger board while replacing decking-img_20131020_105652.jpg  
stick704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #2

You only posted one picture and it's not of the ledger area in question.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #3

I would suggest downloading and reviewing this guide

http://www.awc.org/publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

It is the "Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide" published by the American Wood Council and is based upon the requirements of the 2009 International Residential Code. Since you do not state where you're located I cannot say if the 2009 IRC is applicable to your area or not, however this guide will certainly point you in the right direction.

It addresses proper flashing of ledger boards, including how to frame around a chimney as you mention.

As joe said post some photos of area in questions, certainly aids in getting replies.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #4

I'm not seeing any blocking between the joist.
No ties to attach the joist to the beam.
Is that a single 2X they used for that beam?
Should have been 6 X 6 post and a double 2 X.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #5

Just looking at the one picture, there's a lot wrong with that deck.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #6

Sorry it was late last night when I posted. Here are more photos. I live in south east PA.
Attached Thumbnails
Found unflashed ledger board while replacing decking-img_20131023_071244.jpg   Found unflashed ledger board while replacing decking-img_20131023_071136.jpg   Found unflashed ledger board while replacing decking-img_20131023_071213.jpg   Found unflashed ledger board while replacing decking-img_20131023_071155.jpg   Found unflashed ledger board while replacing decking-img_20131023_071231.jpg  

Old 10-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #7

That deck should have been made free standing, not attached the house like that.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Mod

Essentially you already have a free standing deck although done incorrectly. So to answer your question about the flashing, no it is not needed.

At a minimum I'd pour footings and add a beam on the house side. It could be a 1 ' off the house so it could run continuously right in front of the fire place.

I'd also suggest taking a good look at the link GBrakins posted. That publication is probably the best guide out there and very easy to understand.

From that you can decide how much further you want to go, especially concerning the guard rails.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #9

I was afraid of that. I plan to read the above spec tonight.

Based on the pics, do you think that I can salvage the frame or am I looking at a tear down and rebuild.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #10

Okay will check out the link tonight. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick704 View Post
Based on the pics, do you think that I can salvage the frame or am I looking at a tear down and rebuild.
As long as nothings rotted you can salvage it imo. I'm a little concerned about those post being buried in concrete. How old is this deck?

If nothings attached to the house how is that inside corner by the fireplace being supported?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
Mod

Quote:
For the most part there is a 1/4 to 1 inch gap between the ledger and the siding
This statement through me off. After zooming in on your pictures it looks like they nailed through the siding.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
This statement through me off. After zooming in on your pictures it looks like they nailed through the siding.
Actually, it looks like a combination. It looks like the builder tried to have as few ledgers as possible. He then made up the difference with some creative load transferring--joists acting as beams and at least one post attached to the house. I doubt it was inspected or would pass inspection.

It's definitely fixable. I'm just not sure that it would be the ideal job for someone green. Often times, fixing a hack is more difficult than doing it properly from scratch. In this case, the deck looks decent enough that a tear-down and rebuilding seems wasteful.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
They bolted all the ledgers through the siding. It's not flush along the sliding door and left side fireplace. I've been brushing leaves/seeds down and out from behind it. The only place it's flush is on the right side of the fireplace.

The deck is between 5-15 yrs old (house is 15 y/o). I'm the third owner.

I guess I'll call around to start getting quotes. So much for only spending a couple bills on a fresh deck.