Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #1

Share |

Formula for concrete foundation, rebar?

I would like to build a 20 x 20 shed out back to cover my tractor. I have 9 steel posts that I can use to support the roof. I’m thinking I will bolt the poles onto the foundation. I will poor a cement floor inside the foundation.

Is there a formula that is used to determine how much concrete you need for the post foundation and what size and quantity of rebar? (That information I will possibly use to tackle a larger building later.)

My steel posts will require some grinding cutting and welding. I have four that are 11’ and are ¼”. The other posts are heavy 4” pipe.

Is it more practical and easier just to use 4x6 wood posts? I feel like I will need to get permits if I use steel and if I use wood I won’t have to.

The soil has a lot of clay.

Thanks for your opinions

Daulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Do you have a plan on what to do for lateral strength of the shed if the wind decides to blow? This will affect the depth and width of the foundation and what kind of connection you propose between the post and the footing.

You can easily set the posts for the vertical loads, but lateral loads must be resited by the structure itself, especially with clay that may be wet occasionally.

The need for permits should not have any bearing on whether you need permits in most of the developed world.

since you are doing a "seat of the pants" design, do not expect a canned design to work for something more significant.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
Daulton (03-20-2011), Willie T (03-20-2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #3

My plan is to use ten foot long 4 x 6 header on top of the verticle posts. Rafters would be 2 x 8 constuction. I think I've talked myself into wood constuction. On the foundation I would put treated wood tied down with anchers every how many inches is customary.

I have to go to the planning department anyway about an electrical line, so I guess I should draw this up and take it down there.
Daulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daulton View Post
My plan is to use ten foot long 4 x 6 header on top of the verticle posts. Rafters would be 2 x 8 constuction. I think I've talked myself into wood constuction. On the foundation I would put treated wood tied down with anchers every how many inches is customary.

I have to go to the planning department anyway about an electrical line, so I guess I should draw this up and take it down there.
Yep.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete, formula, foundation, steel frame