Formica/laminate Counters Vs Quartz/granite? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

formica/laminate counters vs quartz/granite?

Hi everyone. Its been awhile since I visited this site, but usually when we have a tenant move out, we go in and paint, repair, replace or update whatever may need to get done.

Some of the units need new kitchen counters. Currently they have the old formica counter tops. Question is looking around at big box DIY stores like HomeDepot, I was wonderng if the the lamiinate/formica counter tops are any good and worth bothering with?

I want something that will hold up, be fairly long lasting w/o a lot of high maintenance. My concern with quartz/granite is the weight load. It just seems awfully heavy. With laminate....that it may not hold up as well these days. And with tile...still some weight issue, but not as heavy as granite or quartz.

Another questions is why can't I find any metal bathroom sink strainer baskets that fit? Most baskets have straight sides but they don't all fit openings that seem to have a slight taper. It's been frustrating trying to find strainers to replace those pop-up stoppers that most people don't seem to use these days anyway.

Usually when a tenant calls to say the plumbing is stopped up, its usually in the bathroom - its because they rinse hair down the drains ie shower, tub and sink. AArgh. I figure removing all the pop-ups and replacing them with basket strainers to catch all the hair but trying to find ones that fit is so frustrating.

All comments and feedback are appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisement

sierra1194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

I assume that tenants put hot pans on laminate counter tops, chop directly on them etc. Check out Granite Transformations. It's what I put in my kitchen and it is indestructible. It's BETTER than granite imo. It is installed over the existing countertop so no mess or time lost.

Advertisement

Kansas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 536

What your looking for is called a bar sink strainer basket.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...sket&FORM=IGRE
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Quartz is pretty much in destructible. I think its the second hardest substance known to man. lamiinate/formica will work but they will show a beaten. Probably get 3-5 years out of them. Then they will look ghetto.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,204

I am not a landlord, but think granite or quartz is something awfully expensive to be putting in rental units. Around here, they run $100 per square foot and up (way up) installed. You could replace a laminate countertop many times for that kind of money.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 604

I don't think granite is a good choice for a rental. Granite is porous. It can stain. It needs to be sealed regularly, and spills to be wipped up promptly.
Quartz countertops are a man-made product and are not porous. Quartz would be a better choice for a rental.
But as the other reply noted, both are rather pricey.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Granite is not a good choice for the reasons you list. However, Granite Transformations is 95% granite as and 5% polymer. I can chop on my countertop, spill grape juice, set pans direct from the oven onto my countertop and it doesn't hurt it. It's less expensive than granite, too.

Landlords who keep up and improve their properties can charge higher rent.
Kansas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,032

depends on your budget. I would think butcher block is a good option as it can be sanded and re-sealed when there is damage.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

As a former property manager, I'll give the loaded answer of "it depends".

Do you need to give a higher class look with a solid surface or stone top to get tenants in the door and hit your rent price target, or will you be able to lease with standard finishes? You can replace laminate tops about 4 times before you match the initial cost of a stone top. I couldnt justify the expense unless I needed to have it to get someone to lease the unit quickly.

Advertisement