Forgot To Use Galvanized Nails... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Forgot to use galvanized nails...

I just finished putting up about 30 feet of shadow box fencing (PT wood)and realized that the nails I got were not galvanized. Yes, I did know that I needed them and cannot believe that I didn't double check after having some problems finding the right nails for the framing nailer I was using.

Its only been up for a few weeks, but I can already see rust on the nail heads. I know there is a galvanizing spray for metel that may help, but will leave gray circles all over the fence.

I know the nails will not last as long as hot dipped galvanized nails - and for what its worth we will only be in the house for another 18 months or so - but anything I can do to prolong the life of the nails and reduce the apperance of rust would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

healeypd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
Dorf dude...

Rewards Points: 1,040

How about a dab of epoxy on the nail heads? Dries clear. Just the first thing that popped into my head. dorf Dude...

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

wirebrush or steelwool the heads clean of rust and spray some clear laquer on them maybe? it won't last forever, but at least you won't have rust drips to deal with when you go to sell. you may need to do it the next year again, the clear will weather off rather quickly.
if concerned about lifespan, add the correct nails near the wrong ones.

DM
Old 05-11-2009, 04:37 PM   #4

Applying something to the exposed part of the nail head is like a bandaid on a cut artery. It won't do any good long term, or even short term for that matter. There will still be staining no matter what you do.

The nails will rust but will last quite a while before rusting through in most cases. My 3 year old fence still has the staples that hold the lumber tags hanging on, in ACQ lumber nonetheless!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
knewbie

Rewards Points: 75

No, it would be a waste of time and money to do anything but remove the nails and re-nail with galvanized.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
the Musigician

i thought the concern was for the chemicals in the PT wood corroding the nails away?
thus the coating?

DM
Old 05-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by healeypd View Post
I know the nails will not last as long as hot dipped galvanized nails - and for what its worth we will only be in the house for another 18 months or so - but anything I can do to prolong the life of the nails and reduce the apperance of rust would be greatly appreciated.
He's not looking for a permanent fix
Just something that will last long enough so he can pass the problem on to the next home buyer
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
knewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
i thought the concern was for the chemicals in the PT wood corroding the nails away?
thus the coating?

DM
The chemicals will cuase the nails to deteriorate pretty quickly in addition to the rust stains that will become very visible surrounding the nails and running down the fence boards. Take them out and re-nail, do it right.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #9

Wire brush nails, clean off rust stains then stain fence.

Advertisement

texas115115 is offline   Reply With Quote