Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
ASC

Share |

are footings necessary?

Need help on footings for a foundation and also dealing with the frost line for this project?

ASC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

are footings necessary?

I am guessing you accidentally failed to post most of your message. Like what type of project are you considering? And what is your question?

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
ASC

are footings necessary?

We are doing an addition to the house 18x32. Constractor has the foam forms up for the concrete but no footings under it. Is this a red flag? Also the forms are not below the frost line.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

are footings necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASC
Need help on footings for a foundation and also dealing with the frost line for this project?
Why do you think that they are not needed? What does the engineering and architect state on the plans, along with the local AHJ?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 06-03-2012 at 11:28 AM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

are footings necessary?

edited above post.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 06-03-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
ASC

are footings necessary?

I have very little knowledge on this. Contractor says he's worked without footings before with no problems. I assumed footings was the norm.
The Following User Says Thank You to ASC For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #7

are footings necessary?

First go back and add where you live to your profile.
A pored foundation with no footings and above the frost line around here would not pass.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #8

are footings necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASC View Post
I have very little knowledge on this. Contractor says he's worked without footings before with no problems. I assumed footings was the norm.

Footings are the norm,and at least 6 inches below the frost line is also.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Civil Engineer

are footings necessary?

You need to go back to square one. When you bid the job, were there plans? If so, the contractor is obligated to follow them. If not, what possible basis was there for the contractor to bid the job? Did you simply ask the contractor to bid on constructing an addition with no plans? Lacking plans, how would you possibly know what you would end up with? The contractor could build anything.

A separate but related question is what code is the contractor obligated to build to, or do you live in an area with no building code? As for the narrow question of footings, codes always require a footing, typically the minimum size is specified in the code, whether reinforcing is necessary, how deep the footing needs to go, what type of soil it can be placed on, and the minimum strength of the concrete. If you do not understand much about building, you really need an architect or engineer to draw up plans for you before you bid and build the job, else you can get badly burned.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
Willie T (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
Framing Contractor

are footings necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASC
Do you have blue prints and permits? Don't say you don't know and its up to the contractor because the permits should be in your window. You need inspections for footings anyway.
ASC (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
ASC

are footings necessary?

Thanks for the help. Never thought about going back to the proposal. I did and it said "pour footings for addition."
Old 06-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

are footings necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASC View Post
Thanks for the help. Never thought about going back to the proposal. I did and it said "pour footings for addition."
Time to fire the idiot, and find a reputable contractor. Hope you have not paid them anything yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #13

are footings necessary?

The proposal says that but what do the contract drawings show? Is there any depths shown on the drawings. And maybe the building inspector should be notified after all documents are checked carefully.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
Mod

are footings necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
The proposal says that but what do the contract drawings show? Is there any depths shown on the drawings. And maybe the building inspector should be notified after all documents are checked carefully.
OP is in North Dakota, there’s a very good chance that drawings, permits and inspections do not apply.