Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

footings for 6x6 post

I am about to break ground on a house and have footing poured for crawl space. There is a 13' x 13' deck off the back of the house which is part covered part open. The covered part is where the roof rafters/ceiling joists rest and supported by 6"x 6" PT posts. Plans call for 18" x 18" x 12" footings for the posts. I was planning on pouring footings for posts at same time as for foundation and attaching posts (obviously) at a later date with metal brackets to concrete. My question is: does this sound ok/code compliant, and do I need to worry about anchor bolt in footings (I would think it would be hard to know exactly where to put bolt since it will be level with beam rafters are sitting on at much later time) ....thanks

ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #2

footings for 6x6 post

bueller.....anybody???

Old 06-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

footings for 6x6 post

It is too tough to recommend footer size when folks don't know the load and the soil type. That is engineering territory and the e needs to have that info. It may also be suggested to excavate deeper and wider and compact gravel underneath the footers, to give the footer more bearing area. An e can also tell you about reinforcing the concrete w/ rebar, etc. GL. john
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #4

footings for 6x6 post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
It is too tough to recommend footer size when folks don't know the load and the soil type. That is engineering territory and the e needs to have that info. It may also be suggested to excavate deeper and wider and compact gravel underneath the footers, to give the footer more bearing area. An e can also tell you about reinforcing the concrete w/ rebar, etc. GL. john
I appreciate your honest response. However, my question was about attaching the post to footer via metal bracket as opposed to footer size.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

footings for 6x6 post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabulldog View Post
However, my question was about attaching the post to footer via metal bracket as opposed to footer size.
OK. I thought you had asked whether or not the whole idea was kosher.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote