Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #1

Share |

Footing drains in crawlspace on top of footing

hello everyone!

I have the usual hyrdrostatic pressure issue in my crawlspace and my house is about 60 years old, so there are not footing drains. No footing drains + sitting right on the river = constantly wet basement around the perimeter.

Anyway, i had two guys come out and dig down to the footings so i can install the drain tile. only problem is they dug only right down to the footings and not down along side of them, so the drain tile would have to sit on the footing if i left it as it is now.

I'm trying to avoid having to dig out the rest myself, but i also don't want to do all this work and have it not function properly.

My question is, if i place the drain tile with the proper slope on top of the footing instead of down next to it, will it defeat the whole purpose of this drain or will it be acceptable?

Thanks!

jbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

First, where are you going to be draining the tile too?

Does the crawl space have an existing concrete floor already?

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #3

The tile will drain to a sump pit and be pumped out. the crawl space is all dirt with the exception of an 8x8 concrete area where the sump pump and hot water heater are located.

the dirt floor is 2'-3' above the footing. the concrete part is probably only 1' or so above the footing. i haven't broken up the concrete to dig that part out yet.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

So you're going to be installing interior draintile as well, or just a leeder to the crock? And at what level do you intend to install the interior tile or leeder? I don't suppose there are any existing bleeder tile thru the footing?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #5

yes, i'll be installing the interior drain tile as well. as far as i know, there is no bleeder tile coming through the footing. The house was built in the early 50s. Not sure if that's something they did back in those days. There is no interior or exterior drain tile for this house at all.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

OK, bear with me, I'll take you to the "correct" answers eventually!

What is your plan on connecting the ext.& int. draintile together assuming there are no cross bleeders in place in the existing footing?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #7

there is no exterior drain tile and i don't have plans to put one in just yet. All of the basement waterproofers that came out only talked about putting in an interior perimeter/footing/french drain (everyone calls it something different). dumping into the sump and being pumped out and dumping many many feet from the house.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

OK, I was mis-understanding as I thought you where actually installing the exterior at this point.

Simply rinning interior tile only may not be the best long term solution. But you could always run the exterior in at a later date.

As to the original question, it is ideal to have the tile NEXT to the footing on the inside. Keep in mind that there should be a few inches of clean stone under the pipe as well as a foot min. over the pipe in both directions. This is going to mean alot more digging than just the diameter of the pipe, probably not what you wanted to hear. While you're at it, I would suggest installing some "retro fit" bleeders thru the base of the wall while you have it all dug out. This will allow you to tie in the possible ext. tile at a later point.

If you intend to leave the "floor" level in the crawlspace a foot or so higher than the footing permanently, you could probably get away with just setting the tile on top of the footing.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #9

Some visual: http://www.servicemagic.com/article....age.13702.html

Advantage of rigid pipe: http://www.easydigging.com/Drainage/pipe_tile.html

Be safe, Gary