Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #1

Share |

footing

what is the best way to figure the amount of yards for a footing?
Toolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

footing

Total length in feet X average width in feet X average thickness in feet (8" thick =.667 for example) divided by 27= total yardage.

Don't be hesitant to add 5-10% extra for waste, form spreading, thickness variation, etc....
Calling for a clean-up truck is far more expensive than throwing a little concrete away.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
World's Tallest Midget

footing

Also, if you're using a concrete pump, remember he has to prime up and he won't be able to get 100 percent of the concrete out. I can't tell you how many times I've had to argue with people that know they ordered a 1/2 yard more than they needed, all the while at least 3/4 of a yard was sitting in the pump, unable to be safely pumped out.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #4

footing

Mort, I just have to reply, maybe I took it wrong, but I think it would be easier to explain to the customer why they had to pay extra for the product left in the pump then to explain why they won't have enough to do their project.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

footing

If you choose to pump the concrete because of the site conditions there will obviously be more waste that just dumping it into a hole without pumping. - All goes back to the amount actually needed to get the job done for the site accessibility.

Ordering a little too much is much cheaper than ordering too little because the delivery and trip charge gets higher thaan the cost of the concrete.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
General Contractor

footing

When a pump is involved, 1 yard over is standard, unless we are pumpong a long distance.

I always order at least 1/2 yard more then calculated on a 10 yard pour....1 on a 20 anyway....a call back for a yard is like paying for 3 or 4, plus the wait time.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote