Footers?? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2009, 04:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

footers??

im lookn at buildn a small house 24x40 w/crawlspace on a lil piece of property its our first, im lookn at tryn to sub some of the work out footers, framing, ect...question is will the masons dig n pour the footers,
if not who? and how much would it cost 16"w 20"d footers. i live in south ala. not in a resid. area.if that helps,rebar concrete n labor just a round about figure is what im looking for.. thx

Advertisement

smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

footers??

You will not find help with costs on this site. First you need to find an excavation contractor. They will give you a price to dig the foundation as well as the trenches for septic water and electric. Look online to find good tips on being your own GC. It is more work than you know and planning ahead with a lot of research will help you get through it all. At least in your area labor is the cheapest around.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
BJ

Rewards Points: 75

footers??

Some non-DIYer friends had me look at a house the were thinking on buying. The owner claimed that the wide crack in the kitchen cieling had been caused by a leak that caused him to have his roof replaced.

He should have checked this chatroom.

He thought hat it would be nice to add another bedroom and dining room by just enclosing the wood deck. Unfortunatly the footers were only made to support a deck. THe owner tried to argu with me until I pointed out the very distinct bend in his newly redone roof.

He didn't look real happy when I told him that a contractor might be able to jack the house back up and pour the footers that were needed.

I was sure that he knew what he'd done, so reported it to the realtor and Code Enforncement. He took the house off the market.
BJLower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

footers??

DIY-er's can be best friends to contractors/remodelers its not uncommon for 'em to be sad when informed they have to spend good $ to chase bad $,,, sometimes bldg inspectors're happy to get a chuckle, too wonder what would've happened had there been a major insurance claim & the carrier declin'd to honor the policy as the work wasn't to code or properly permitt'd
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

footers??

Trying to separate the excavation, footings and block crawl space is foolish. You want it co-ordinated and done quickly and accurately. You only do it once and nail benders can only bend nails so far and still be square.

Good luck on coordinating the anchor block locations with the sills and joists.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #6

footers??

As stated, we strongly discourage threads requesting estimates, guesstimates, or pricing for contractors to do work on this site because we are a DIY site.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
Carpenter

Rewards Points: 75

footers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
As stated, we strongly discourage threads requesting estimates, guesstimates, or pricing for contractors to do work on this site because we are a DIY site.
On top of that, building a house really doesn't qualify as a DIY project.

DECKS Etc.
GardenStructure.com
DecksEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #8

footers??

We did quotes on a 24x36 addition
Garage, Great room above, walk up attic
Almost every excavator or cement person had someone they worked with. We went with one crew, one team dug out for the foundation. Then the cement crew came in & poured the footer, setup the forms & poured the walls. Everything else I am doing

Mine was poured 2 years ago, so prices have changed since then
Prices differ by area, get at least 3 estimates - & references
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #9

footers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecksEtc View Post
On top of that, building a house really doesn't qualify as a DIY project.
Not usually, but there are those that do it in an attempt to save money. It doesn't usually work out that way in the end though.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:06 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

footers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Trying to separate the excavation, footings and block crawl space is foolish. You want it co-ordinated and done quickly and accurately. You only do it once and nail benders can only bend nails so far and still be square.

Good luck on coordinating the anchor block locations with the sills and joists.

Dick
called and talked to a few const. contract'rs today quoted $7.00/linr ft.
not countn concrete r rebar, i just want to make sure the footrs are right
thickness n whole layout is square ect.. ive always been told your foundation is most important, when i was young'r i dug plenty of footrs just didnt pay alot of attention, igeuss thats why i drive a truck for a livn
if i can just get the house dry in most of the inside work i can do, i hqave a good freind who is a licensed elec n plumber,floors windows walls ect..
was thinkin of takn some rough cut 1/2" x 6" knotty pine run it through a
planer and use it on walls.. any thoughts on how to seperate the diff.
jobs like footrs n foundation to framn ect. thx

smity the truck drvr....
smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:25 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

footers??

im-nsh-fo, find a gc or carpenter who's workloads slow & work out a deal,,, can forsee many problems if you don't know your stuff OR who the good subs are,,, not only that, they'll eat your lunch & you won't even know it,,, accepting & paying for below-par's, scheduling nitemares, & permitting/inspections'll be MAJOR issues for you.

good luck, smitty

Advertisement

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote