Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Footer depth?

Hello,
I have a wall 12 inches thick by 12 feet high. The base of the wall is 11 feet below ground level. This is the back wall of an under ground house.
The wall will be back filled with a mixture of sand, stone and some soil, but all with great drainage.
My question is : Is a footer 12 inches wide by 36" deep overkill. What would you recommend? Frost level is 36". Well above the 11 foot deep mark.
Thanks Lee

levenalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,086

Footer depth?

Do you already have it or are you building it?

If you are building, you local code office can give you direction for your application if it is unique.

Your footing must be 36" below the exterior ground level.

Your 12" wide footing is undersized. Since you have a wall retaining 11' of soil, it must be engineered. Your engineer will be able to give you footing dimensions based on the wall loads.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Footer depth?

my apologizes, the footer as it drawn up now is 24" wide by 12" deep, and is located 11 Feet below ground surface. My question is should it by 24" wide by 36" deep to help hold back the weight of the soil.
levenalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,086

Footer depth?

Your footer does not hold back soil. Its purpose is to take the vertical loads, which are not high. The footing dimension are fine and maybe too much.

The foundation wall resists the horizontal loads. It will also rely on the floor slab in many ways. The reinforcement in the wall (the same whether block or concrete) depends on the height of the wall and the lateral loads from seismic, wind, soil and water.

Your engineer should be able to give you drawings on the dimensions and foundation dimensions.

If you are trying to do it yourself and/or without a permit you are asking for problems based on the information you have given. A permit inspection is meant to save people that want to do things less than minimal. Even if you do not have a code or need a permit, I would suggest to get one just for the value of keeping you going in the right direction - its much cheaper than a problem down the road.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote