Foot Bridge - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Foot Bridge

I want to build a foot bridge to croos a finger of my lake. It just needs to be wide enough to walk across. How far apart should I place the concrete piers and what size lumber should I use for the joists? The distance is 80'.

Advertisement

coresuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Foot Bridge

If you use 2x10 #2 treated joists and space about three of them 16" apart, they'll span around 15'. 2x12's will go 19' or so. You'd need to devise something at each bearing point to provide lateral stability (roll resistance) that the decking alone will not provide. Blocking between the joists above the pier would be adequate.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Foot Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
If you use 2x10 #2 treated joists and space about three of them 16" apart, they'll span around 15'. 2x12's will go 19' or so. You'd need to devise something at each bearing point to provide lateral stability (roll resistance) that the decking alone will not provide. Blocking between the joists above the pier would be adequate.
Thank you. I will install bridging to keep the joists from twisting at each pier and 1 centered between. Nice dog!! I also have a chocolate lab.
coresuper is offline   Reply With Quote