Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 303
Share |
Default

Foam Sheathing


HI,

I noticed some 1/2" and 3/4" foam sheathing at the store. Does this replace standard OSB sheathing or is it installed over it?
detroittigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 24,521
Default

Foam Sheathing


It could be installed over it, Used to fill the gaps between the strapping when siding a block or concrete wall.
In my option it would be a very poor substute for real plywood or OSB sheathing.
It has 0 shear strength.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:39 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 303
Default

Foam Sheathing


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It could be installed over it, Used to fill the gaps between the strapping when siding a block or concrete wall.
In my option it would be a very poor substute for real plywood or OSB sheathing.
It has 0 shear strength.
Do you mean between strapping as in like furring strips attached to masonry and siding attached to the furring?
detroittigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 303
Default

Foam Sheathing


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It could be installed over it, Used to fill the gaps between the strapping when siding a block or concrete wall.
In my option it would be a very poor substute for real plywood or OSB sheathing.
It has 0 shear strength.
Do you mean between strapping as in like furring strips attached to masonry and siding attached to the furring?
detroittigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 24,521
Default

Foam Sheathing


Yes. It adds a small amount of R factor and helps keep the siding from flexing between the strapping.
In some areas 3/4" foam is used for sheathing with Plywood or OSB only in the corners to help keep the wall from racking.
I've lived in one of those homes and any time a real gust of wind came through the whole house would crack and pop.
It was an on going issue with drywall screw pops and seams cracking.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 303
Default

Foam Sheathing


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Yes. It adds a small amount of R factor and helps keep the siding from flexing between the strapping.
In some areas 3/4" foam is used for sheathing with Plywood or OSB only in the corners to help keep the wall from racking.
I've lived in one of those homes and any time a real gust of wind came through the whole house would crack and pop.
It was an on going issue with drywall screw pops and seams cracking.
Ya I would not trust just foam sheathing. Hey does vinly siding need strapping or draining plane? I was told no because it breathes naturally.
detroittigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 24,521
Default

Foam Sheathing


Guess that depends on where you live.
All we ever do is add house wrap to the wall before adding the siding.
It allows the inside walls to breath and not form a double vapor barrier but keeps the outside condensation from getting to the sheathing.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 2,040
Default

Foam Sheathing


I am guessing the ones you are looking at are not structural, however there are some thicker ones (2") that I have seen that are.
There are also some that are used with diagonal bracing for the sheer strength.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 303
Default

Foam Sheathing


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Guess that depends on where you live.
All we ever do is add house wrap to the wall before adding the siding.
It allows the inside walls to breath and not form a double vapor barrier but keeps the outside condensation from getting to the sheathing.
In your opinion do you think adding ridid foam to the outside walls helps a lot with reducing heat gain and loss?
detroittigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
Member
 
GBrackins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairhaven, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,736
Default

Foam Sheathing


if you view a home with a thermal imaging camera you'll find that about 15% of the wall surface will transfer heat (studs, headers, etc.). adding rigid insulation board to the exterior side of the wall helps to eliminate heat transfer.

with that said you still have wall bracing requirements in your building code. In some area 1/2" wood structural panel sheathing (4' width) is installed at corners and at least every 25' along a wall. they will use 1/2" rigid insulation board in between the sheathing.

Add seismic and high wind requirements and you'll find a lot more use of wood structural panel.

the area I work in typically requires blocked wood structural panel sheathing on the exterior side of the wall to act as shear walls (due to being in a hurricane wind zone). all exterior walls are covered in sheathing.

I have had projects that required 1" rigid insulation applied to the exterior to comply with the 2009 International Energy Conservation Code requirements for my area. makes for fun with windows and doors.
__________________
Gary

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 303
Default

Foam Sheathing


Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
if you view a home with a thermal imaging camera you'll find that about 15% of the wall surface will transfer heat (studs, headers, etc.). adding rigid insulation board to the exterior side of the wall helps to eliminate heat transfer.

with that said you still have wall bracing requirements in your building code. In some area 1/2" wood structural panel sheathing (4' width) is installed at corners and at least every 25' along a wall. they will use 1/2" rigid insulation board in between the sheathing.

Add seismic and high wind requirements and you'll find a lot more use of wood structural panel.

the area I work in typically requires blocked wood structural panel sheathing on the exterior side of the wall to act as shear walls (due to being in a hurricane wind zone). all exterior walls are covered in sheathing.

I have had projects that required 1" rigid insulation applied to the exterior to comply with the 2009 International Energy Conservation Code requirements for my area. makes for fun with windows and doors.
If your using 1" rigid insulation are you using window with longer jambs/frames?
detroittigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 24,521
Default

Foam Sheathing


Windows and door can be custom ordered with jambs made to size, or for 2 X 4 or 2 X 6 studded walls.
Not a big deal to make your own extension jambs.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 303
Default

Foam Sheathing


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Windows and door can be custom ordered with jambs made to size, or for 2 X 4 or 2 X 6 studded walls.
Not a big deal to make your own extension jambs.
right but if you add 1 or 2" of rigid foam that increases the wall depth, thus, not all of the window is on the rough sill unless you use replacement windows.
detroittigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
journeyman carpenter
 
woodworkbykirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: nova scotia canada
Posts: 2,589
Default

Foam Sheathing


build out hte rough opening with 5/4 stock or 2x stock and foam up to that so the window is fully supported..
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pairing Rigid foam insulation with existing wall cavity Izaura Insulation 8 03-30-2013 07:56 PM
R3 Rigid Foam for sheathing?? iteach4jeeps Insulation 21 12-03-2012 05:59 PM
Scissor trusses, Foam and FG zambo Insulation 2 11-15-2012 06:15 AM
Spray Foam into walls behind kitchen cabinets? MovedTooMuch Insulation 4 09-21-2011 09:33 AM
Replace Flange in basement with Foam? mattoxda Plumbing 1 10-10-2010 04:05 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.