Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
the Musigician

Share |
Question

foam brick as crawl insulation

hi everyone!
if i use foam brick outside my crawl space, do i still have to insulate behind it?
also, my new addition has open rafter joists only so far, what is the best way to put it together? insulation installation? then furring strips and ceiling drywall? then blown on top of that? ( in case drywall needs repair, all the blown doesn't just fall out....) not sure where to start, but it needs to pass inspection. tnkx!

DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #2

Foam brick???

There are circumstances where a crawlspace doesn't have to be insulated, but if there are no outside vents to vent the space then you basically have to insulate it. I don't know what you mean by foam bricks, but I have my doubts that you'll get the minimum R value requirement without insulating the wall cavities.

No idea what you mean by open rafter joists. Can you post a picture or describe further? Rafters and joists are not the same thing, and there are situations where either would need insulation. Joists are the floor or ceiling, rafters are the roof.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
the Musigician

at a 2 ft. avg height all around the perimiter the fake brick will cost way too much. can i just run siding all the way to the ground?
the ceiling rafters are bare to the roof, new construction.
what do i need to drywall, insulate, etc. the ceiling?
tnkx termite guy

DM
Old 07-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #4

Are you doing this work?
kctermite asked questions that you didn't answer. It would help if you processed the responses before you replied. It makes the process more effective.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
the Musigician

don't know what i did not answer, sorry... i corrected myself and said rafters.. if you look up, you see the bottom of the outside roof through the trusses. (ain't those also rafters?) i need a 'common way' that ceilings are installed. sorry about the mixup, i am not familiar with all the terms for what i'm talking about, though i'm studying all the pertinent threads here and AM learning, so please be patient with me... =o) and yup, i have to do this all myself as we are poor. i'm great at fixing bout anything, but lots of this is all new to me and i cannot afford to have to rip out something and do it over. (already happened once with this inspector.)

tnkx! all of your comments are appreciated and help immensely!

DM

Tags
insulation