Flush Beams To Post Connections - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flush beams to post connections

I had an architect draw up plans for a 2-level screen-porch/deck I am going to build myself. I'm questioning how to connect the beams to the posts. He is using all flush beams. The outer rims are all 2-2x12s bolted together, the end rim for the upper level which will be screened in and covered by a roof, is 3 2x12s bolted together. The ledger attached to the house is 2x10 and the joists for the upper level run parrallel to the house. These will all be on 6x6 posts.

My question is what kind of connecters do I use to attach the beams to posts? Especially the 3 2x12s on the center beam, with that on the post that only leaves 1" of space for the perpindicular beam to attach. Is that even allowable?

I've seen the simpson column cap connectors and they are very expensive, are there any other solutions?
Attached Thumbnails
Flush beams to post connections-beam_post-connections.jpg  

Advertisement

marcpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Your architect should have specified/detailed the fixings instead of leaving it to you to work out. It's part of what you pay him for. Get on the phone.

Advertisement

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony.g For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (03-14-2013)
Old 08-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #3

I am checking with him and am awaiting his reply. Just trying to get as much info as I can. Thanks
marcpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #4

Hi there,
What was the outcome of this? Can you describe how the beams and end joists were attached to the 6x6 posts? Thanks!
michaelbarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,032

Michael Welcome to the Forum!

This is how I typically attach a beam to columns. Depending on the beam I may notch the beam, all depends on whether on the beam's width compared to the 6x6.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...e-lpcz-lce.asp

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #6

Thanks, that works for non-corners but how do you attach a 6x6 post to the corner when the beam is triple 2x10s and the end joist is double 2x10s
Old 03-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #7

ACE6 for corners, AC6 for intermediate columns are the caps I typically specify. To attach a flush framed double joist to the beam I use a concealed double joist hanger. I myself prefer a dropped beam with the joists going over with a slight cantilever, makes it easier for lateral bracing on the corners when needed.

if you're looking for some good information on decks (you may already be knowledgeable and don't need this) I recommend the American Wood Council's "Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide." This is based upon the 2009 International Residential Code. It provides prescriptive construction requirements. Simpson Strong-Tie's "Deck Center" is another good source of information.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #8

I'm sorry I don't fully understand. The building inspector wants my beam to be triple 2x10, so that makes the beam 4.5" deep. The 6x6 post is really 5.5", so the beam will occupy all but 1" of the top of the post. The end joist will, therefore, sit on just 1" of the post. Are you saying that if I use a concealed double joist hanger to attach the double end joist to the beam, then it's ok that the joist is resting on 1" of the post?

Also, I don't see how to attach the beam to the post using the bracket ACE6 because the post is larger than the beam by 1"
Old 03-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #9

we typically use two layers of 1/2" plywood sandwiched in between the (3) 2x10. we then use a peel and stick flashing membrane (Grace Vycor) and lap that over the top of the beam to prevent water from entering. this will make you beam 4.5" + (2)0.5" = 5.5", the same as the 6x6

joists are required to bear upon a minimum 1-1/2" of wood or metal, your hanger meets that requirement.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #10

Thank you so much!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #11

so what are the footings on your 10" tubes to be?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.g View Post
Your architect should have specified/detailed the fixings instead of leaving it to you to work out. It's part of what you pay him for. Get on the phone.
tony is correct, your architect should provide the specifications for your connections

Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #13

I was actually going to use 12" tubes, and bigfoot-style footings (they are orange and sell them at Home Depot).

Email me your email address if you are able to look at my plans before I give them to the building inspector. My email is michaelbarth@hotmail.com. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

Use the LPC connectors, they sit on TOP of the post and can handle any size beam, we use them to attach a 6" post to a 2" beam, (install the LPC6 in pairs, one on each side). They were designed for this specific situation.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 25

I know this post is slightly dated but, I'm confused, I thought the title was FLUSH post to beam connection. All this discussion touches on bean ON post connections.

Advertisement

liljohnny is offline   Reply With Quote