Floors Uneven And High Along Steel Beam - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Floors uneven and high along steel beam

My home has likely settled. I have a steel beam running along the edge of my entrance hallway to the back of the house. The floor is humped or cresting at this spot. Using a level I figure the beam is 1/4 to 1/2 inch too high.
I have adjustable poles supporting this beam in the basement, but my basement is also finished.
I am contemplating cranking the poles down 1/4 inch.
The odd thing is that my windows, tiles, drywall... Is all in great shape with no cracks or jams - though I do have a couple doors slightly out of wack.
I am concerned that I may crack some tiles or misalign some doors as the house seems to be handling the settling well.
But I hate the slanted hallway with a passion!!!!!!!!!!
Any advice???
Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by Smitty1968; 08-05-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Smitty1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

a few photos would help ......

a few questions

how old is the home?
do your floor joists run over the top of the steel beam, or are they flushed framed with the steel beam? if flushed framed is there a wood plate (2x4, 2x6) on top of the steel beam?

Advertisement

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 558

Can you provide us with some pictures of your situation from main floor and basement?
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
Can you provide us with some pictures of your situation from main floor and basement?
I will post some pics tomorrow.
The main floor beams are resting on the steel beam and I believe there is a piece of wood, like a 2 x 8, on top of the beam.
This beam represents the high point of the floors, though as the floors move out towards the edge of the house, left and right, they do level out a bit, though the edge of the walls is still lower than the highest point at the beam.

We bought the house recently and our home inspector and us both missed the crooked floors! The rest of the house is immaculate and we had the same model previous to this minus the pool, (which distracted us I guess). The cabinets, brick,... All look to be original and if they were repaired then it is absolutely fabulous work.

I am really worried about this and not just annoyed by the slanted hallway.

Last edited by Smitty1968; 08-05-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Smitty1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

Before undertaking a project like yours, it is critical to perform a detailed, whole house level survey. This includes the foundation. The level survey needs to be accurate to within 1/4 inch everywhere. This can be accomplished using a liquid level (can be rented at many rental chains), a builders level (cal be purchased for typically under $300 or rented), or a laser level (a good one can be purchased for typically a few hundred dollars or rented).

It is impossible to determine if your house is settling without such a survey. As for jacking down the beam on the columns, many steel beams are supported on the ends by pockets in the walls, as well as the columns. Lowering the center jacks can have unexpected and unwelcome effects on stress on the steel. You need to check the steel beam to see if it is level, I do NOT recommend adjusting center jacks on a beam that is already level. If your goal is a flat floor, and the steel beam is level, that suggests you need to shim or plane the wood element above the beam to adjust the floor, but again, you cannot know what to do until you have completed a whole house level survey.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote