DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

floor strength in room?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Scuba_Dave 
#1 ·
Hi guys don't know if i'm being silly or paranoid here but i was just wondering what kind of weight my room would support as i want a new fish tank but i'm scared about the weight and have no idea about this. The tank is only 200 litres which i think would add up to 300 lbs max but i have no idea about joists and such, it would be against the wall that is next to my mums room and the house is fairly new. It's just to me the floor doesn't seem as solid as my old house. The room is very small and the cabinet the tank will be on measures about 80cm x 40cm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Your concern is not a crazy one. You should be fine as long as the weight isn't more than that. It would be better if you could place the tank on an exterior wall. See if you can measure the size of the floor joists and repost.

#3 ·
What is the size of the tank - length x width

200 litres = ~53 gallons = ~530 lbs
Usually I allow 10 lbs per gallon w/water & equipment & safety factor
Fresh water or salt water? I have a 240g SW setup

What size are the floor joists? 2x8, 2x10 or ??
What distance do the joists run until they are on another supportted wall
Best location is against a wall that the joist run perpendicular to the wall. That way a few joists support the weight of the tank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.