Floor Squeaks Under Interior Wall, 1/2 Inch Gap Under Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Floor squeaks under interior wall, 1/2 inch gap under wall

Hi Community. I have an interior wall in my master bedroom that spans 7 feet between 2 doors (bedroom door and master bath door. master bath is on other side of wall). The house is 8 years old and the floor around this wall has creaked for 7 1/2 years. I had the builder come back to fix it, but they just shimmed the wall which lessened the creaking, but it did not completely go away.

Things I've already tried and their results:

- The Squeeeeeek No More system: Didn't work because it isn't the floor that is squeaking, it is the nails holding the sole plate of the wall to the floor.

- Shim it more: I put a TON of shims in there and actually raised up the wall about 1/8 inch (reduced the creaking some). I didn't like the results because the fiberglass shower on the other side of the wall raised a 1/8 inch as well, and my linoleum that is caulked to that shower now bends upward at the end. So I removed the shims I put in as well as the shims the builder put in. Now the creaking is much worse than when I started.

The only other approaches I can think of and their downfalls:

- Use expanding foam: Downfall is it is messy, and if it doesn't fix the problem it will be very difficult to remove.

- Open up the wall, cut the studs from the sole plate, screw the sole plate down, then find a way to reattach the studs to the sole plate: Downfall is it is expensive and time consuming, but probably the best long term fix. However, since I'm selling the house I'm not necessarily interested in the best long term fix.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Advertisement

adefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 682

I'd be working under the house to see why it sagged that much and fix that.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Forgot to mention that it is on the second floor, and the ceiling below is finished. Does not appear to be sagging, it appears the wall was just framed too short.
adefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 362

If it squeaks when you walk on it, you have movement in the floor. Bet if you get a laser level you will be able to see the sag in the downstairs ceiling. Either add support or stiffen the floor. Had the same issue in my MBR over the garage. Had to tear down the garage ceiling and sister the 2X12s to eliminate the sag. Not fun, not cheap. Only way to fix it.
chitownken is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gap , squeaky floor , wall