Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
"Jack of all trades"

Share |

Floor Joist Repair with plywood?

I've discovered a cracked 2 x 12 floor joist under a bathroom subfloor. I'm fairly confident that I can sister a new board to it. Do I have to use a similar 2 x 12 SPF board or can I use a piece of 23/32 BC plywood 12" longer than the crack? The crack starts at the rim joist end and runs along the middle of the joist for about 18". A joist hangar was not used in the construction of the 1985 addition to a 1950ish concrete block and slab ranch home.
Any ideas would be welcomed. Then I can get back to the task of putting down a new, unwater damaged floor.

Oscar52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Really need a picture of it.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #3

Yes, picture would be nice. But, yes, you can add whatever you want, some responses being better than others, and the longer the better. Ideally, you want to add from support to support, or put a post part way along. What's this about "no joist hanger"?
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #4

I'd sister it with a full length 2 X 12.
Just a patch as you suggest is not going to have anywhere near strong enough.
If a 2 X 12 has splt that bad I think I would be trying to figure out why it did. To long a span, someone removed a support or the one that's there has failed ect.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:15 AM   #5

we've got the same thing right now - we'll sister w/2 2x12s thru bolted for the full length AND install a supporting pier underneath the crack - this is in a crawl space so space isn't an issue,,, you might also consider a flitch beam in this instance

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
"Jack of all trades"

Thanks for all the responses guys. I wish I had the time to post a pic. I'm going to use the single 2 x12 bolted thru repair.
I am of the opinion that the crack happened during the OKC quake last year. Wichita isn't to far from OKC and I felt the quake in the house.
I'll post pic's and a situation wrapup later. Got to get to (as the gandaughter says) "fikin' " part.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Why are you so worries about a little crack in one joist?

Sounds like a waste of time to "fix".

Andy.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
"Jack of all trades"

Well the joist is fixed, the floor is down, next the under layment and vinyl. Took pics. They were to big to upload.
I was able to push the joist back together from the basement. I could here the adjacent joists creak as it went up. Glued and cross bolted the sister joist in place. Removed the jack. Nothing snapped so I guess I got it right.
Someone asked about the lack of a joist hangar in the orginal build. I can only hope the original joist was nailed from the opposite of the rim joist. I don't know what Code required in 1985 or if an inspector even looked. I just do the best I can with what i've got.
Lastly, another post asked why I bother fixing a minor crack. After almost 40 years in aircraft maintenance, I have a degree in Murphy's Law. If I didn't fix it now, it would come back to bite me in the a$$ later.
Thanks to all who responded to my plight. I hope I can offer as good as I got. I hear a Bud Light calling me.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Take the pictures again, but lower the resolution, or use something like flicker to link them here.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #10

You did the right thing by fixing it. Once that one fails the others may have been under add stress and also failed.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
Why are you so worries about a little crack in one joist?

Sounds like a waste of time to "fix".

Andy.

Agree [ ]
Disagree [x]

psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote