Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Floor Joist Notch

Hi All,

My house is a raised bungalow in which I'm renovating my main level washroom. Due to the orientation of the washroom and floor joists below, I had to notch the top half of one floor joist where the bathtub drain entered into the floor for abs fitting clearance. Iím worried about this, and as much as I didn't want to do this, I didn't have a choice. At least at this location there is another floor joist 6 inches over, rather than the repetitive 16 inch on center 2 x 8's.

Firstly, I'd like to talk about the floor joist. The integrity of the floor joist is obviously messed with. To remedy I have cut a 3/4 in. thick piece of plywood that I will glue and screw (or bolt) to the back side of the cut joist to help provide strength. Iíll run it about 32 in. long along the back side of the joist. Any suggestions? Should I screw or bolt after I pl400 it? See attached pictures, as thereís not a lot of room to put a drill up there.

Secondly, back to the original problem. The 2006 Ontario Plumbing Code notes that 1/4 inch radius fittings (90 deg elbows) are not permitted unless going from horizontal to vertical, I believe with the exception of traps. I'm going to try and use to 45 degree fittings if I have space to clear the side of the joist and connect to my trap rather than use two 90 degree fittings which was previously used. Are there any other special fittings that can be used, maybe flexible?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Floor Joist Notch-1.jpg   Floor Joist Notch-2.jpg   Floor Joist Notch-3.jpg   Floor Joist Notch-5.jpg  

trophywalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Floor Joist Notch

That joist is definitely over-notched and is definitely severely compromised. At a minimum....(And I'd really recommend consulting an engineer)...Glue 48" pieces of 3/4" plywood the full depth of the joist using construction adhesive. Nails are muchs stronger than screws, so I'd suggest at least a couple rows of 10d nails at 6" centers the full length of the plywood. If at all possible, use 2x dimension lumber instead of plywood.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote