DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Floor joist

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jklingel 
#1 ·
Hi there I just bought my first house only to find out that all of my floor joist are garabge!! I want to change them out with 12' 2x10's, the only prob I'm having is that on the outside edge's and the center of my house has metal beams. My current joist have brakets welded to beam but they arnt suffecent for the 2x10, so I bought hangers for like deck work and I was thinking I could just use self tapping screws to mount them I'm just woundering if that's a bad idea I'm sorta out of ideas that will work for my situation, if there is any one who might have a good thought I would love to hear it. Thanks for reading my add.

#3 ·
You cannot use self tapping screws to hold that bracket in place. Self tapping screws do not have the shear necessary. Basically they would snap. Unless Simpson makes a self tapping fastener that I am not aware, highly unlikely. Simpson makes hot dipped galvanized nails specifically for each type of bracket they design. Are they rotted or deformed in some way? Possibly you just need to add strapping in between each joist? Is it just that the floor feels sloppy when you walk on it, again that could just be lack of bracing with the strapping.

#4 ·
Ok, on the inside of the beam web you have to drill 5/8’’ holes to accommodate ½’’ bolt and washer which you will attach a 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 the hole spacing is staggered and no more then 24’’. Then you attach your joist hangers to the 2 x”s which are bolted to the beam and space them as close to your existing joists. Off the top of my head I can’t remember if you can get a joist hanger to put in two (existing and new joist) if so, then you can glue and screw them together. Note you will have to notch your new 2 x 10’s so they will sit in the joist hangers and be flush with existing joists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.