Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #1

Share |

floor joist

I want to remove a beam in the basement as I think that it is not necessary and the steel jack posts are in the way. These are not cemented in the floor and appear to have been added later. The room above is a family room with no significant load. Floor joist are 2x8 16" on center and span 12 feet. I am not sure why the home builder or someone later added a beam about 4 feet out from the wall with two jack posts spaced at 7 feet in a 20 foot room. They also tried to double up the floor joists by strapping 2x6ls along the side of the the floor joists. There are no structural walls above on the first floor that would require this beam.

dougshackles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

floor joist

the beam is carrying your floor system.. dont mess around with this unless you consult a engineer first.. if you dont know what your doing dont touch this

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #3

floor joist

It was added after the fact. 2x8's are supposed to support the load on a 12 foot span, why would anyone add a beam??

Last edited by dougshackles; 02-04-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: More information
Old 02-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

floor joist

I am not sure what your question is. You seem to be convinced that the beam was added after the fact, and you seem equally convinced that it is not necessary. If you are asking an internet chat forum to offer a structural opinion on the necessity of your beam, I believe you have come to the wrong place. Either you make the call, and accept responsibility if it turns out the beam is needed, or you hire an engineer or architect to perform an investigation and tell you what they think.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

floor joist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougshackles
I want to remove a beam in the basement as I think that it is not necessary and the steel jack posts are in the way. These are not cemented in the floor and appear to have been added later. The room above is a family room with no significant load. Floor joist are 2x8 16" on center and span 12 feet. I am not sure why the home builder or someone later added a beam about 4 feet out from the wall with two jack posts spaced at 7 feet in a 20 foot room. They also tried to double up the floor joists by strapping 2x6ls along the side of the the floor joists. There are no structural walls above on the first floor that would require this beam.
You already have your mind made up that the beam means nothing. What's you point? No one here can agree with you. There has to be some reason it was put there. It wasn't just put there for show. Hire an architect or engineer to come look at it. Impossible for someone here to yell you its not needed it what its there for.

Last edited by Joe Carola; 02-04-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #6

floor joist

Thanks guys, it just doesn't make any sense to me knowing the span for floor joists and all, maybe one of the previous owners found a little bounce in the floor above.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

floor joist

Perhaps you have tile on the floor upstairs and they wanted to stiffen the floor for the tile?

Maybe the lumber used in this scenario was, for some reason, defective or not labeled or the wrong species and the inspector wanted to see new labeled lumber there?

The joist span for a dead load of 10 lbs. and a live load of 40lbs. works (barely) with a deflection of L/360.

Andy.

The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
dougshackles (02-04-2012)