Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

floor insulation

I am finishing off some space in my walkout basement to be used as a family room. Would there be any benefit to insulating the floor joist above it? I was thinking it might help keep some heat down there instead of going up to the upper level and cathedral ceilings. But there is a large open stariway as well, so I also feel like any insualtion between floors is not going to be effective because the warm air can travel right up the stairway.

What about keeping sound down a little bit? Would it help to insulate around pipes, drains to keep the sound down a little bit?

Any thoughts/advice?

mbaker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

floor insulation

I insulate everything. When I heat a space I want the heat to stay in that space. In your situation it goes up the stairs but not having insulation will make it go up through the floors also. So you will just lose heat all that much faster.

Insulation will help with sound for sure. Sometimes not insulating a void will make it like a drum and actually make more noise if the conditions are right. Especially if the wall is pretty well sealed.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #3

floor insulation

Definitely insulate the ceiling - It helps out a lot with sound deadening and will keep the heat down where you are paying for it to be.
SnowUtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #4

floor insulation

I have a few rolls of 3 1/2 fiberglass left over..... the joist are 2x10. Would sticking a run of 3 1/2" glass in the joist cavity do any good or would they need to be full?
Old 11-14-2008, 01:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

floor insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaker76 View Post
I have a few rolls of 3 1/2 fiberglass left over..... the joist are 2x10. Would sticking a run of 3 1/2" glass in the joist cavity do any good or would they need to be full?
That is R11/13 compared to R30/38. Pretty big difference.

While heat rises and cold falls and there is not a lot of temperature transmission in the floors it will make a difference in the livability of your home. For insulating purposes floors are at the bottom of the insulating priorities after ceilings and walls but still should be insulated.

You said that there is a lot of wind and this makes a bigger argument for doing the floors with good insulation.

I am big on doing it right and believe in insulation. It is a long term investment but energy costs are going to continue to go up. !5 years down the road this will be looked at as a good decision.

You should make some provision for rodent protection. They love insulation. Bigger animals like raccoons will rip the place apart.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #6

floor insulation

This is all space inside the exerior walls. Its actually a split level house that the lowest level was left unfinished and that is what i am doing now. All the exerior walls are insulated. I didnt say anything about wind so im not sure if you misunderstood something there?

If we have raccoons in the house... i have bigger problems because well..... momma aint gonna be very happy!!!
Old 12-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

floor insulation

I insulated between the first and second floors of my first 2-story house remodel. I used an unfaced(no vapor barrier) fiberglass, can't remember which one. This was recommended to me by a framing contractor. It was extremely effective for sound control. The difference afterward was well worth the effort. This was 15 years ago and I am doing another home remodel now. I plan on doing it with this house also. I would be interested if anybody knows what brand of insulation and size is best for the job. I need a cost effective no vapor barrier insulation that can easily be attached and placed in the 2x8 16"o.c. joist space.

newgarage is offline   Reply With Quote