Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #1

Share |

Floor/Ceiling joist construction

Hi everyone, I'm new, so hope no one minds if this is too simple, but I don't know the answer and that's why I'm here.

My house is a two story with basement and attic above (cape cod front with extended roof rear). I'm installing an electric box for a hanging light in the middle of my room on the first floor. When I cut a 4" hole in the ceiling drywall in the center of the room, I've encountered a flat 2x4 running perpendicular to the joists (running right across the center of my cut-out of course).. The only way to install the box is to cut the 2x4 through. The joists are 2"x12" and 16" on center. I assume that the 2x4 is some type of joist bracing and that there are (I'm assuming) many of them (but the first floor joists do not have these).

I also assume that I'm probably OK in just cutting this one, but I'd rather ask the community first as I've never encountered this before. Thanks so much for all replies.

Mike

mccomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #2

Without a picture it's anyone one's guess what you hit.
May be just a brace used to keep the floor joist from twisting and bowing.
Even if you did cut it there would be no place to mount the fan box with that in the way.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

if you are exact center of the room that flat 2x could be a block that was added to accommodate a light or fan. most likely the idea was to put a 4" x 5/8" pancake box mounted up to the 2x4. The only real way you will know for sure is to cut a square opening in the area say- joist to joist, to examine what is up in the ceiling system.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #4

Thanks,
Yes it is in the exact center. I don't believe it was the builder's intention or that it's there for that reason, but you've given me the idea. That gives me the option to leave in intact, drill a hole through its center for wiring and attach a shallow box directly to it. It seems to be firmly anchored (I sure hope it is as it will be supporting a crystal chandelier - I am switching out my living and dining rooms). My other option was to cut it and install a safety fan box that is wedged between and anchored to the joists.

I don't want to cut a joist to joist opening as its a nice old fashioned patterned swirl ceiling that would be very hard to match. I may try to get a very small light in the opening with a dental mirror and see if I can get any more details.

Mike

Last edited by mccomics; 08-05-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #5

Thanks for your reply. I figured since the 2x is flat, that should give me room to put a safety fan box in and secure it between the joists with the hangers on top of the 2x. I'm just wondering if it's common for 2x12 16oc joists to be braced in this way.

Mike
Old 08-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #6

in some parts of the country it is come to put strapping perpendicular to the floor joists. in my area builders typically use 1x3 strapping at 16" o.c. this provides a space to run electrical without having to drill floor joists, and when building a non-bearing wall the top plate of the wall butts up against the strapping (walls running parallel with floor joists). I have seen 2x4's used instead of 1x3. of course you have to take care of your fire blocking.

Not saying this is what you have, but I have seen 2x4's used as strapping.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
mccomics (08-05-2012)