Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
TDO

Share |

Floor beam span

I'm finishing my basement and am trying to determine if I can move my column to accommodate a wider living area. I have a LP Gang- lam. Southern pine 2650 Fd - 1.9 E beam 3 1/2" x 11 3/4" x 24'. The floor joists are spanning 22' (and a few 25' due to an outcropping wall) and are 16' oc. Currently the column is approx centerd at 12'. I'd like to move it to 13 1/2' if possible ( this would move the column closer to the 25' joists). Above joists are a living room, bed room and bathroom. We will be hanging drywall on the basement ceiling. Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated.

TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #2

Floor beam span

Going to have to get an engineer on site to look this one over. Sounds simple enough to move it over but it invlove cutting out the slab, reporing a new footer at a min. It may have an effect on everything from the basement floor to the roof. Just no way to tell over the net.

Your going to need permits for the rest of the work to.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
TDO (08-29-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #3

Floor beam span

I doubt anyone on here wants the liability for that move....... hire a S.E. for an hour or so, satisfy your H.O.Insurance carrier.

Welcome to the forums!

Gary
TDO (08-29-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
TDO

Floor beam span

Thanks, was thinking I'd need a se. Fortunately, or not depending on your view, we're in rural America no permits needed, but I definitely want to get this right - code or no local code. Was wondering if adding a 11 3/4" x 1 3/4" to span the 13' might work. Would still want to check with a se, but wonder what the cost of the added beam would be - this would give me 11 3/4 x 5 1/4" x 13' Anyone know how much these beams run?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #5

Floor beam span

Going to have to get an engineer on site to look this one over. Sounds simple enough to move it over but it invlove cutting out the slab, reporing a new footer at a min. It may have an effect on everything from the basement floor to the roof. Just no way to tell over the net.

Your going to need permits for the rest of the work to.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #6

Floor beam span

probably anywhere for $5 to $10 a foot, depends on your local market .....

As Gary said, you don't want to have any structural damage to your home from the work you do, insurance companies tend NOT to want to pay for them

Joe is spot on with needing to involve a professional engineer, whether you need a permit or not.

And I'll leave you with this thought, if you post long enough, or go to enough sites you'll find someone that will agree with you thoughts (of course you do not know them, or their level or knowledge or experience) and they will say "Go Ahead! That's what I'd do" WOULD YOU????

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
TDO (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #7
TDO

Floor beam span

Thanks GB. No question in my mind I need to find an engineer. Not wanting the whole thing ending up around my ears. Was just wondering what the beams cost if I am told by an engineer that is the way to go. You were right, I finally found similar ones at about $6 lin ft. In my area.

Last edited by TDO; 08-29-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:45 AM   #8

Floor beam span

TDO,

post back and let us know how you make out. always glad to hear from posters on their end product. let's us know when we're spot on with advice, and when we're not.

good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote