Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:45 PM   #1

Share |

Floor beam failing?

This house has three rows of floor beams constructed from 2x6 spiced. 2 of the rows look fine, 1 row (see photo) appears to be failing. The beam is leaning over and the peir is leaning (appears as if it is buckling). There is also some settlement along the in the house around the location of the floor beam. What would cause this? Would I need to replace this entire beam, or is this repairable? Thanks for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Floor beam failing?-floor-beam.jpg  

elvinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Floor beam failing?

Ayuh,...... That looks like a Failure to me.....

Why I don't know,.... But Fixing it should be priority #1....

Jack it back into place,+ either replace the Failed pieces, or shore them up with more materials.....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
Woodworker and Contractor

Floor beam failing?

Can't tell much from that photo was this done later because the floor had bounce? can't see anyone thinking a dbl 2x6 would hold a floor up and it looks like it is placed mid span?
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:09 AM   #4

Floor beam failing?

Is there a load bearing wall above this beam?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #5

Floor beam failing?

This is one of the original beams, the house is not very big, but they are 2x6 spliced. (built in 1986) The load bearing walls are on the exterior only, so there is not a load bearing wall above. The beam is leaning about 10 percent from one end of the house to the other (the peir is leaning about the same). To me it looks like something that might happen in an earthquake, but I am in SE Oregon and I dont think that is such a problem here. I am real curious what would cause this.

Also, I would not feel comfortable lifting on the beam in the condition it is in, would it be normal proceedure to install a new beam right next to it and remove this one (the beam is only about 35 feet long)?

I have attached another photo, in the photo the tape measure is pretty much straight up and down, it should show what it happening a little better.

Thanks for everyones help.
Attached Thumbnails
Floor beam failing?-floor-beam-2.jpg  
Old 01-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #6

Floor beam failing?

it leaning because it not on a good base LOL you can't just wedge a 2x under something and do expect it to roll over after time. The wood itself does not look bad. yoou could add new footers/pads about every 5', 6 of them should do it, and frimly block the beam into place. 2x6 are not the right size for this beam but blocking them closer will help.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #7

Floor beam failing?

Since this beam is like this for the entire span, how would I be able to set it up straight without installing a new beam next to it? I would be concerned that there could be a catostophic situation if I simply start lifting in this beam.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Floor beam failing?

Ayuh,.....

In that case,... I'd twin it, Then do the repairs......
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:33 PM   #9

Floor beam failing?

set a 4x4 on the grade beside it place 14 2 ton bottle jacks, about $15 at lowes, then 4x4 on top and slowling lift it to where you want it. That being said now you are getting into a different repair that may cause drywall crack, floor buckling, door & windows bending, and on and on. I was just stableizing the beam before rasing it is a new can of worms