Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Floor acoustics

Now that I'm in my new house one thing I noticed is when I'm up stairs I can hear stuff downstairs rather clearly. I have a dehumifier and I can hear it quite easily. also noticed that my PC seems louder, it's like if the sound resonates on the floor. The floor is made of 2x8 joists with 1x6 planks, and on top is hardwood. It's the old style hardwood with boards about 1 inch wide.

Is there anything I can do to muffle sound better? I was thinking of maybe gluing foam insulation between the joists, think this would do the trick?

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Floor acoustics

Foam won't do anything at all. If you really want to reduce the transmission of sound you have to reduce the contact between solid building elements. The best way of doing that on existing construction is to hang the ceiling drywall from resilient channel (running perpindicular to the joists) instead of screwing it directly to the joists. They make sound attenuation batt insulation but it is usually used as part of a system, not stand-alone. The insulation just won't make a perceivable difference.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Wire Chewer

Floor acoustics

Actually it's funny as there was drywall but I started to remove it (want to go drop ceiling eventually to make cable pulling easier). Would drop ceiling with insulation thrown on top help? I'm thinking more for when I build my server room, I don't want to hear it from upstairs. I'll most likely insulate all the walls, would regular insulation help or is there special type I need to get?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Floor acoustics

A dropped ceiling with drywall would be more effective than a grid.

Basic insulation won't do much. You want to locate sound attenuation batts, which are normally made of rock wool. With sound attenuation batts alone, you can expect a sound transmission reduction of maybe a couple decibels (insignificant).
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Floor acoustics

Actually what do they use inside of doors? I noticed most doors do a decent job at blocking sound. (outside doors) Not expecting it to block a concert or anything, but say, a couple very large fans or many small ones.