Flood Prevention - Need Ideas - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flood prevention - need ideas

Hi All,

I have a drain in the laundry room in the basement which has backed up 3 times in the past year. Twice becomes of storms, once because we had roots blocking the drain in the front yard. All three times the water came out of the laundry room, through the small hall and into my family room soaking the carpet.

We are in the process of finishing the remodeling of our family room (new dry wall, new carpet) and I want to make sure I can do whatever possible to prevent future flooding in there.

I've attached some pictures of the laundry room drain and doorway and how it leads to the family room.

The idea I have is to build a small concrete wall (3-4") (is there a special name for this type of wall?) at the doorway of the laundry room and then put a bottom suction pump right next to the wall/doorway. Something similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-Systems-.../dp/B000CQ6CU4

I would run the hose connected to the pump into the boiler room (in the laundry room) and drill a hole in the exterior wall for the hose to drain the water in the backyard.

My only concern is that I've been reading this utility pump and other utility pumps don't start pumping water until there is about 2 - 3 inches of standing water ... even though it says they can get the water down to 1/8" above floor level. Are there other types of pumps made specifically for what I'm trying to do that I should look at? Or does anyone know of another utility pump which will start pumping as soon as it senses any water at all?

Does this sound look a good approach? Anyone have a better idea?

** Edit: Forgot to mention in the small boiler room inside the laundry room, there is already a sump pump. The small room is framed with 2x4"s at the base above floor level - including the doorway - so when water came up through the drain, it wasnt high enough to get in the boiler room and go into the sump pit.
Thanks!
Tommy
Attached Thumbnails
Flood prevention - need ideas-laundry1.jpg   Flood prevention - need ideas-laundry2.jpg   Flood prevention - need ideas-laundry3.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by tommy83; 09-16-2011 at 01:06 PM.
tommy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,486

think most folks would probably 1st fix the failing drain problem by having a backflow preventer installed in the line,,, failing that, you'll need to install a sump into which any water can drain,,, at the btm of the sump, place a pump to mechanically discharge the collected wtr
we ONLY use zoeller pumps ( m-53 - $80-$100 ebay ),,, they're the most reliable & have a built-in auto-float switch.

you could also install a sub-floor pipe from the floor drain to the existing sump

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
Below Grader

Rewards Points: 75

You will then to tie it to your existing foundation drain (french drain) to the existing sump pump or install an interior drainage system.

I believe the existing drain (the one that is always backing up) leaves you unprotected because you are relying on a gravity drain to get rid of water in a below grade structure.

A backflow preventer might not solve your problem. You might need to disconnect it from the wastewater line and channel it to the sump pump as well, or install a sewage pump.
CyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:21 PM   #4

If I did a sump pump would i dig the pit but not have an inlet pipe? So only the water which backed up from the drain would fall in and be pumped out?

If I wanted to connect the drain to the existing sump pump how would I do that? Would I cap the drain, break up the floor about a foot, have a pipe "T fitted" for lack of a better term and have it run into the sump pump as a second inlet pipe?

Last question, what is the difference between a sump pump and a sewage pump?

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #5

Hi everyone, spoke to a plumber about installing a backwater preventer and also he talked about another "overhead drain" system. Both are way too expensive...

I'm thinking about just sticking with my original cheapo idea of having a utility pump on the floor in the laundry room in addition to a 3 inch wall in the doorway.

I'm having an issue finding an auto turn-on bottom suction pump though. All of them seem to be manual turn-on. Does anyone know of one I can look into?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,486

'backwater' is where i live 'backflow' is your plumber's term,,, to my limited knowledge, ALL automatic pumps require a sump to activate the pump - we use zoeller m-53 - for the $, there's not a better 1 made bar none

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote