Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Floating Wood Sub-Floor over slab?

Hello

For our remodel in our garage I want to use a "floating sub-floor". I've seen a couple of variations but I'm limited to 1-1/2" thickness. The ideal one is to use 2x's as sleepers and then 4x8 sheets of 3/4. I'm thinking of three layers of 4x8x7/16 OSB in a criss cross fashion with 6mil poly on the bottom. I plan on glue and screw as well. The garage was built in the mid 50's and the floor looks pretty flat overall. This seems to be more solid versus 3/4" sleepers with two layers. This seem ok? Thanks

Kenny J

Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you're limited to 1 1/2" you can use 1x(3,4,,etc...) material over the plastic and 3/4" exterior T&G ply, adhesive and screwed down. If in a cold zone, fill in with panel insulation between the sleepers.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:37 AM   #3

First thanks Ron for your help. So no matter what I "should" try to use some sleepers on the floor as a base? Second with the 3/4" is it not suspect to floor movement versus two or three overlapping sheets? Being a floating floor I figured overlapping layers would be stronger and more solid than one thick. By the way we're in Nashville TN. so it's classified as a four season area. Thanks again.

Kenny J
Old 09-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #4

I guess either method will work. I just like the 1x method so I can see the variations in the floor and shim accordingly. Maybe with the overlapping OSB the weight will compensate for any variations in the floor, and there are usually variations. They're not usually evident until you put a straight edge to them.
Ron
Old 09-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
Weekend Builder

Rewards Points: 75

3 layers... glued; won't be easy to rip up in case of water leaks... I like Ron's idea (speaking from experience when i had some water damage)...
Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If you're limited to 1 1/2" you can use 1x(3,4,,etc...) material over the plastic and 3/4" exterior T&G ply, adhesive and screwed down. If in a cold zone, fill in with panel insulation between the sleepers.
Ron
I would definately go with 1 x 4 treated sleepers as oppossed to layering solid stacks of osb, especially in a "garage" close in. I am always doublely
suspicious of moisture in anything involving garages.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #7

If I go with the sleepers be it 1x4 or 1x6 should I put down the 6mil poly first then sleepers or do the sleepers first (glue or not) and then the 6mil poly? By the way three sides of the garage is above ground level , two coverd by deck and sunroom. The front is even but under a carport.

Kenny J
Old 09-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #8

A little confused. You originally posted that the floor was going to be a "floating floor" When you attach it(glue), it's not floating anymore.
If it's actually floating, I would put the poly down first. Then the sleepers, shimming the low spots so the floor doesn't bounce under foot. Then the T&G ply, screwed down.
The inference about it being a floating floor was that it could and would, come up at one point. If this is a permanent installation, the sleepers would be put down with a construction adhesive and mechanically fastened to the concrete. The ply would be glued and screwed to the sleepers.
Ron.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #9

Guys thinking of doign something similar, I will be fitting a dp membrane down and then laying a wooden frame. My only question is,

how can I fix the floor to stop bounce by breaking through the membrane a fixing the floor mechanically but ensuring that any breaks in the membrane are patched.

My thoughts were to use a liquid DPC around the wood, or i have heard of use of builders felt??

bladster is offline   Reply With Quote