Floating Walls - Lally Beams - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

floating walls - lally beams

Im starting to frame my basement and i live in wyoming with expanding soil. I have to float my walls so that if the concrete rises it wont lift the walls and damage the floor joists upstairs.My question is i have 3 lally beams holding up the load bearing wall, if the concrete rises will it not push the lally beams upwards and damage the joists? if so is it not pointless to float my walls?

thx

Advertisement

ron0805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

I posted a question a while back on a closely related subject. I assume (but I have no personal experience with Wyoming floating wall construction) that your lally columns are supported on individual footings that are not connected to the basement slab. Presumably the lally foundation is either a concrete footing that extends below the expansive soil layer, or the footing is on piles of some sort, or the expansive soil beneath the footer was removed and replaced with crushed stone or similarly non-expansive material.

Not being from the area, I really don't know what standard practice is, perhaps there is a contractor or engineer on this site who builds in expansive soil areas, I am curious myself as to the standard of practice for foundations.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I posted a question a while back on a closely related subject. I assume (but I have no personal experience with Wyoming floating wall construction) that your lally columns are supported on individual footings that are not connected to the basement slab. Presumably the lally foundation is either a concrete footing that extends below the expansive soil layer, or the footing is on piles of some sort, or the expansive soil beneath the footer was removed and replaced with crushed stone or similarly non-expansive material.

Not being from the area, I really don't know what standard practice is, perhaps there is a contractor or engineer on this site who builds in expansive soil areas, I am curious myself as to the standard of practice for foundations.
at the bottom of the lally coloumns they are just shot in with concrete nails and bent over.It looks like they are just resting on the concrete.
ron0805 is offline   Reply With Quote