Floating Stairs - HELP! - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2007, 01:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Floating stairs - HELP!

Does anyone know or have plans for a 'real' floating staircase? What I mean by real is the type that literally come directly out from the wall without any other supports or stringers... So they appear to be floating, no risers, no stringers...

Help, I can't find any info on these.

Thanks

Advertisement

ryandiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Floating stairs - HELP!

I saw a set of those installed once. IIRC, it was a kit using steel supports mounted to the framework of the wall and the treads fastened to the supports.

Advertisement

Last edited by Jeekinz; 07-09-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeekinz For This Useful Post:
bargchin (11-15-2014)
Old 07-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #3

Floating stairs - HELP!

Thanks Jeekins, the 2nd shot is really what I'm looking for. Any idea on the construction or make up of the interior wall where the steps attach?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 580

Floating stairs - HELP!

Don't try and sell a house with steps like in the second picture.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #5

Floating stairs - HELP!

I can't help you there, but get ready for floods of "You need a hand rail on that."

You may want to contact some spiral stair manufacturers. The sites I saw had both styles.

I'm not sure how I'd complete the framing. For the treads, I would make frames out of steel, bolt those to the wall(framing), and make up wood treads that slipped on from the side and fastened underneath.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #6

Floating stairs - HELP!

Thing about this unit is that it is already way beyond code. It's an 18 unit loft complex and roughly 80% of the units have illegal loft extensions, stairs etc...

It's just one of those unwritten things in this area. I bought it 3 yrs ago knowing that it was not to code. So that being said I am not very concerned about the stairs.

I've attached a picture of the current set up. As you can see even the current stair has no railing along with the top floor without to code rails.
Attached Thumbnails
Floating stairs - HELP!-dscf0249_1.jpg   Floating stairs - HELP!-dscf0490.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to ryandiy For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (12-08-2011)
Old 07-09-2007, 12:41 PM   #7

Floating stairs - HELP!

Here's another style. http://www.cosmicool.com/meyer/lipshey/

Search 'floating stair' or 'cantilevered stair'
Old 07-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Floating stairs - HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandiy View Post
Thing about this unit is that it is already way beyond code. It's an 18 unit loft complex and roughly 80% of the units have illegal loft extensions, stairs etc...
At least you know the risk involved and taking... in Vancouver, they converted a whack of warehouses into condos and owners built lofts after the fact. They were under the assumption that they could add these lofts but most didn't get permits.

After the city found out, and got structural engineers to investigate, all of the "illegal" lofts had to be removed as they significantly changed the structural load of the building to "un-safe" levels.
slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
weekend warrior

Rewards Points: 150

Floating stairs - HELP!

Interesting to look at, but way too contemporary looking for me... yuck.
johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:54 PM   #10
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Floating stairs - HELP!

Quote:
Thanks Jeekins, the 2nd shot is really what I'm looking for. Any idea on the construction or make up of the interior wall where the steps attach?
I suppose someone somewhere makes kits containing the necessary brackets, but I don't know who. The only time I have seen floating stairs, the brackets were fabricated in a local iron shop, and the treads were custom made for them.

And yea.....what about handrails? I could not sleep at night knowing that I owned a building where this was a typical stair case.

Please send me the name of your insurance agent. All of us in the New Orleans area could sure use an insurance company who loves high risk, especially in these post Katrina days.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #11

Floating stairs - HELP!

Quote:
...any idea on the construction or make up of the interior wall where the steps attach?
I'll take a stab at it...but keep in mind that this information is worth what your paying for it...so all the standard disclaimers apply...

What I'd do is before drywalling, fasten nailers between the studs at the correct locations. Start with angle iron pieces, one for each tread that is 10 inches long with a 2" and 3" leq and 1/4" thick. Lag the 2" leg to the nailers, with the 3" leg making a ledge for the step. This leg sticks through the drywall.. You could either set the tread on the shelf or bump the angle up and cut a kerf in the end of your tread and fasten the tread from the bottom.

This image shows the rough idea...of course you'd want to use strong material for the treads.

Alternatively if you don't want drywall next to the treads, you can always use 1/2" plywood, tape the seams like drywall, skim coat, sand, texture just like drywall, and way stronger. 90% of the people wouldn't ever know that it wasn't drywall.

Hope that gets you started...
Attached Images

RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #12

Floating stairs - HELP!

Jeekinz, I just sent you an email as I don't have enough posts to send a PM yet.

Hit me up at ryan@wethecollective.com for more info as well.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #13

Floating stairs - HELP!

Thanks much Rippy, that is pretty much what I was thinking...

Oh and here in Vancouver... there are many, many, mnay lofts similar to this, the city really does not ptu much focus on these right now, especially with the 2010 Olympics approaching fast, they are busy dumping all our tax money into random things like widening highways, building stadiums etc....

Time to check out the building specs and see what is behind this drywall.

Oh also I was thinking that I could build these stairs with a removable type of railling if need be when it comes time to sell, but honestly this location being so close to downtown and the new Athelets center for the Olympics I can't see selling anytime soon. Probably will fix it up and rent it and get into another place.... real estate, real estate, real estate is the way to make money here.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #14

Floating stairs - HELP!

I had a brainstorm (uh oh).

1) Make a stringer out of 3/8 steel plate, attatch this to the framing. Make tread frames out of 1/4 x 1 1/2" angle iron and bolt or weld these to the metal stringer. Drywall over the stringer only leaving the tread frames. Construct a tread out of wood. The tread would resemble an empty playing card box. Slide the tread on to the frame and attach from underneath.

2) Basically the same idea but make the stringer out of a LVL and notch this into the framing. Construct the tread frames as mentioned above but weld a 1/4" metal plate to the end to bolt it to the LVL.

The tread may require a triangular shaped plate to be added for extra support. Kind of like a gusset.

That's the best I think I can do.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #15

Floating stairs - HELP!

I dont mean to be a wet blanket here and I dont know what the laws or codes are in your area but if you build this ( and I like the ideal) and rent it out and say someone falls are you not going to get your backside sued off

Advertisement

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clasact For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (12-08-2011)