Floating Floor Or French Doors First? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Floating floor or French Doors first?

Hi there,
I'm going to get a replacement French-style swing door for my existing glass slider, as well as put in a floating floor over cement slab. Exterior is stucco, wall thickness seems "normal" on this 1964 house. I've done a bit of DIY (mud, tile, light elec.), but for the most part, I'm a computer guy. :0

1. Which do I do first? The existing door's frame doesn't extend beyond the thickness of the wall, so I'm guessing I could probably do the floor first, but I don't want to end up with a gap or some other issue if I'm wrong. If I do the door first, I don't want to end up with a step-down from the flooring to the threshold of the door--or do they allow for that already?

2. We're planning on doing the flooring ourselves, and had hoped to do the door ourselves, but the prehung interior I just put in was horribly more difficult than I imagined it could be, and has got me thinking I might be better to stick with what I'm good at and let a pro do the exterior door. Am I correct in thinking that if the prehung was this hard to get right, I should avoid the exterior install? Or does it get easier after a door or two?

Thanks for the input,
Greg

Advertisement

AntifreezeDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 622

I'd install the door first and not on top of a floating floor. Prehung doors are not that difficult to install, as long as the framing is plumb and reasonably square. An exterior door follows the same basic installation procedures as an interior door, but it will need to be properly flashed or sealed. With the stucco, I'd hire a pro. I'd also have the flooring on site to see where the threshold and floor height will wind up. The threshold should be higher than the exterior grade to help prevent water intrusion.
As a side note, we had removed a french door and replaced it with a slider in our eating are because the door swing took up too much interior room.
Good Luck

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I agree with 47 47 but I am also thinking that if you had so much trouble with the other door and are that worried about this one maybe you should get a pro to do it.It is not that hard of a project but you do have other considerations to take into account likr the header and studs since it is and outside wall what are they supporting and area they stong enough also the refinish of the stucco and the inside.Is this new door an exact size replacement or are you going to have to adjust for it,these are things to take into account.If you know the depth of the floor you can make adjustments to the door so is fits flush
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote