Floating Deck Over Concrete - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Floating deck over concrete

I have a bit of a unique situation and a question; I have read some posts online trying to find the exact answer but a lot of the advice doesnít apply to my situation.
I have a concrete patio, 2 slab sections over a 15x21 area. Facing north is the house, south is a two car garage, west is the driveway and east is a concrete retaining wall; half at about 2 feet high and closest to the house is about 3.5 feet high. The slabs have cracked in two places (each slab) but close to the entrance door for the garage; the water pools about a half inch when it rains heavily. Once rain stops, the pooling goes away within minutes so I assume it is draining somewhere. On the other side of this retaining wall is a hill off the house that is about level with the retaining wall.
My plan is to build a floating deck above the patio. In order for the deck to be level with the back door of the house and the entrance door to the garage, I have limits on how high I can go. I donít care about the appearance underneath the deck once it is in but I was hoping for some easy fix just to stop the pooling. I was thinking of just making a hole at the point of the pool for extra drainage but I doubt it would be that simple. I could put a drain at that point of pooling with pvc pipe underneath the patio and out but the only way is the other side of the retaining wall and it wouldnít drain anywhere (gravity wonít take it up a pipe).
I donít know if the short-term pooling would damage the wood of the deck but I donít really want to risk it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

drummerskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Not sure if this helps, but I have a concrete patio that is 14', 10' and what I did was attach 2x4 pressure treated wood to the concrete with tapcon screws making sure to level them and then just screwed in ceder planks that were 14' long. Added some trim around the edges and you have an instant nice looking deck.

The main issue is getting the pressure treated wood level because the concrete will be sloped so you will have to shim it.

Advertisement

buildit45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #3

I appreciated the help and that is useful information but I am trying to reslolve the pooling issue
Old 04-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 694

Without some pictures it's anyone guess how to fix this.

Placing any surface level with any door threshold is 100% sure way to have water getting in under the door and talking out the flooring, sheetrock, trim, bottom plates.

Attaching pressure treated wood directly to a slab will cause the wood to rot because it can never dryout. Once the wood does try to dry out I've seen it snap off the screws or pull them out of the concrete.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

+1. Didn't see the previous post when I hit reply. Lol
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #6

I can put some pictures together and perhaps that would help with the solution a bit.

The decking wouldnt make it completely level with either door. The entrance door to the house has a poured concrete step that is about 8 inches high at the lowest point and slopes away from the house and the garage door is actually higher and steps down into the garage.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would drill a group of 3/8" holes in a the low spot and the see what happens. No harm is done and if it doesn't work, its easy enough to fill the holes back in.

Advertisement

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote