Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Lemme make it

Rewards Points: 25

Floating bathroom cabinet

I am interested in building my own bathroom cabinet that floats out from the wall, not touching the ground, nor having any feet. I'm guessing its size is something like 30" tall, 36" wide, and 24" deep. If I am able to tear into the wall to find the studs, isn't it reasonable to think I could brace a cabinet to the studs with the largest angle brackets I can find? This cabinet will support a heavy plywood top which will be tiled, and a sink and faucet, and will probably be crammed full of junk, adding to the weight. Am I just asking for trouble? Or can I construct it with enough overkill reinforcement to support everything. The cabinet can be attached to both the back wall and on one side, as it could be put in the corner. I'm sure that helps considerably. Any advice is much appreciated.

Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

It is a feasible project. You might need to fabricate brackets(or have them fabricated) the correct size to handle the loads. I've never seen, "vanity support brackets" in my travels.
Wall cleats will help with the loads.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
old guy contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Think of it like a wall cabinet in your kitchen

If the cabinet is built properly it's just a matter of finding the studs and attaching the cabinet to the wall with screws.....pretty simple.....

You don't need braces and brackets and hardware...just a cabinet that's built to do this.
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Lemme make it

Thanks guys. About the cabinet, T, I'll be making it myself, using an old piece of furniture with a few modification. I just felt like all the weight I would be adding to it, and cramming it full of shhhtuff, and with plywood on top, hardibacker, tile, sink, and possibly someone leaning on it slightly while standing at the sink/mirror, etc... it just seemed like a lot of possible weight to be floating. I know I don't have any kitchen cabinet that supports that much weight. And those are usually not as deep. This is more like a base cabinet, really, and I don't know if I've ever seen those float, per se. But why would I let that stop me? Ha! Dat, I will put a cleat on the top edge, but I think I'll also come up with some kind of bracket for attaching to the stud before adding the drywall back on. That would be lower, creating a 'shelf' for the whole thing to sit on. Maybe my father-in-law can make some sort of large T shaped steel plate or something. These are nice, but I don't think I'll shell out $115 for them, unless I can't come up with anything else: http://www.premierwood.com/24-x-29-h...cs.-p38405.htm

I'll go for overkill here so I don't have any regrets later. Fortunately, this project is about a month or two off, so I have time to mull it over.
I'll post pics when it happens.

Renate
Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Lemme make it

Correction... sorry, I meant Ron. I had just replied to someone else named 'dat'. It needs to have the previous posts in front of you for reference when you're responding.

Renate
Old 01-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Correction... sorry, I meant Ron. I had just replied to someone else named 'dat'. It needs to have the previous posts in front of you for reference when you're responding.

Renate
Old pieces of furniture were not designed to hang from the wall. As a matter of fact, neither were regular vanities.
"L" shaped brackets bolted to the framing behind the sheetrock and under this furniture might work, but the consequences of failure is a flood.
Ron
Old 01-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
Think of it like a wall cabinet in your kitchen

If the cabinet is built properly it's just a matter of finding the studs and attaching the cabinet to the wall with screws.....pretty simple.....

You don't need braces and brackets and hardware...just a cabinet that's built to do this.
Exactly..... Don't over think this. I built a 60" floating vanity last year. 2 sinks, drawer pack and a solid wood top. Rested it on a 1x2 ledger screwed to the studs and screwed thru a nailer incorporated in the upper back. Very solid.
jeffrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffrow1 For This Useful Post:
Renate (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

The way most cabinets are built these days, I would NOT just hang it on the wall. Regular base cabinets sit on the floor, and regular wall cabs only stick out 12". I'd make sure there was good backing on the back of the cabinet, and them lag bolt some L brackets to the studs from INSIDE the cabinet. Just make sure they're not in the way of the lav. I'd also do the same to the bottom of the cabinet using inverted L brackets. Better to do it right than RE-do it right!
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

These guys definitely have you on the right track!

I'd suggest building this vanity with a strong inside frame that includes a 1x4 angled from the other edge down to the bottom of the back. I'd also suggest mounting it in the corner, which you mentioned being a possibility. That would certainly add stability.

This is definitely doable, provided you build and attach the vanity correctly.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Experienced

Just a question, is this being done because of a heat vent under it?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
Lemme make it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Just a question, is this being done because of a heat vent under it?
No Jackofall1, there's no vent. This is just me wanting to emulate the high end (ba-zillion dollar) bathroom designs that I can't afford. All the contemporary looks I like have this effect, and I hoped to achieve the same look. If all else fails, I suppose I could put some contemporary chrome legs on this cabinet, but enough of y'all have commented with positive responses that I'm inclined to pursue the floating idea. Of course, I'll employ every means of reinforcement and plenty of overkill suggested to make sure this baby doesn't come crashing down. I won't be getting around to it for a few weeks though. Thanks for all your suggestions. (I am also encouraged by this structure: http://blog.justlanded.com/wp-conten...ubai-tower.jpg. If the (restaurant) protrusion of the tower can stick hundreds of feet out in the air, this silly cabinet should be able to hang two feet from the wall.)
Cheers,
Renate
Old 01-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #12
Lemme make it

Out of curiosity, what is the expiration of these threads? I may not get around to this floating cabinet for a few weeks. I'm still doing wiring and drywall work, then the bathroom floor will need tile, and then comes the cabinet. I didn't want the thread to vanish before I got into it, in case I needed some more input. I'll be sure to post some pictures eventually.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the expiration of these threads? I may not get around to this floating cabinet for a few weeks. I'm still doing wiring and drywall work, then the bathroom floor will need tile, and then comes the cabinet. I didn't want the thread to vanish before I got into it, in case I needed some more input. I'll be sure to post some pictures eventually.
There are still treads when Washington was carving his teeth.
Ron
Old 01-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
There are still treads when Washington was carving his teeth.
Ron
Were you helping with THAT project too?
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Were you helping with THAT project too?
I only go back as far as Truman.
Ron