Floating Basement - Level Concrete - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Floating basement - level concrete

Hi,

I have a floating basement and I am getting ready to finish it. I have some areas a long the concrete lines that are not even. If I rent one of those concrete grinders to smooth it down a little do you think that would be ok? I'm not looking for it to be perfect as I will just be laying down carpet.

Thank you

Advertisement

cobase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Grinding it down would probably work, albeit laborious! Self leveling cement might be another option, but would also be a bit of work.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

mite, this ain't the easiest post to 'read' & try to figure out what in hell he's talkin' about,,, but, seeing as i read it another direction, grinding the ridges between paving passes would be easier,,, self-levelers're kind of tricky the 1st couple times you use 'em.

google up dustless technologies for a shroud if you're grinding & WEAR GOOD DUST PROTECTION !!!

'floating' slab, not basement,,, 'conncrete lines' = paving ridges OR different elevations of the slab on either side of a crack OR joint ? ? ?

doing imperfect work's fine if its your house & you're doing it.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks that does help. What about renting. Do they have machines I can rent that are larger then just a small hand held unit? It is my house and I am just not prepared to remove all of the concrete. I have just a couple areas that I need to grind down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsconcrete View Post
mite, this ain't the easiest post to 'read' & try to figure out what in hell he's talkin' about,,, but, seeing as i read it another direction, grinding the ridges between paving passes would be easier,,, self-levelers're kind of tricky the 1st couple times you use 'em.

google up dustless technologies for a shroud if you're grinding & WEAR GOOD DUST PROTECTION !!!

'floating' slab, not basement,,, 'conncrete lines' = paving ridges OR different elevations of the slab on either side of a crack OR joint ? ? ?

doing imperfect work's fine if its your house & you're doing it.
cobase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

sure there're walk-behind units 1 can rent but 4" or 7"'ll work fine for your job,,, we'd choose the same w/diamond cup wheels,,, matter of fact, tho i don't ordinarily recommend 'em for anything, h/d has shroud'd sawtec (metabo brand) units & wet/dry vacs for rent,,, i suspect any man worth his salt who owns a home would JUMP at the chance to buy TOOLS but renting does have its place
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote