DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   Flexible metal corner bead? Worth using? (

yummy mummy 11-15-2007 04:43 PM

Flexible metal corner bead? Worth using?
Today, I say flexible metal corner beads that are on some type of paper.
Looks like you would just fold it and put it on with the mud.

No nailing needed.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Is it worth trying or just stick to the usual metal one.

Also, I say plastic corner beads, are they good, or is metal the better one?
How about for the soffits, can you use something less stronger than the ones on the walls?


RemodelMan 11-15-2007 05:41 PM

Flexibles are ok if the corners are noticeably tighter or wider than 90 degrees.
Otherwise, I prefer the ridgid corner bead that comes in 10" lengths.
There are two basic types, one for inside corners and one for outside.
Although there is a plastic version, it is a bit harder to keep straight and smooth the entire length. On the other hand, the plastic version of bead is available for arched corners. This is the ticket for capturing a consistent curve. Use staples to adhere plastic before you apply any mud, unlike the standard paperfaced metal, which you don't need staples on inside corners, yet a few ringshank nails will help keep this in place on the outside corners. Apply a layer of mud before and immediately after for the inside corners.
There is a blade available designed for the corners which looks like a metal blade bent @ 90 degrees. This will help smooth out the insides about 3-4 times faster than without. Your mud for the first coats can be mixed with a water putty to expedite the drying and provide a stronger base, less likely to shrink as much as pure drywall compound.

You may be interested to know that there is a new version of compound that tends to fall sraight down during the sanding. Instead of the typical drywall dust rising and floating all over the room. USG makes it.

Sammy 11-15-2007 05:56 PM

I like the old timer metal nail on and mud corners...

But then again I have never tried the others...

AtlanticWBConst. 11-15-2007 06:09 PM

As stated, that type of corner-tape (often referred to as "metal Tape") is for "off 90-degree" angles. 90 degree corners come out naturally straight because of the two sides of each sheetrock wall intersecting each other. With "off angles", the sheetrock sides are not reliable to follow a straight course. The metal tape helps to create a straight corner on those "off-angles". Paper-tape will trail-off into wavy lines. A re-inforced tape has it's own straight line to it.
Whenever we have wider angles, vaulted ceilings, cathedral ceilings, etc. we use a re-inforced tape to make sure that the angles come out nice and straight.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1