Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flex HAV Ducting & Firestop?

I have a room in my basement in which the HVAC ducting (3 different flexible lines) enters a bedroom into a soffit area. How do I add a "firestop" around where the flexible HVAC vent enters the room into the soffit area? Not sure how to handle this?

interfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Is the soffit part of the rated wall/ceiling assembly? Or is the soffit in place INSIDE of the wall you are trying to firestop and strictly in place to conceal the flex duct? Is this a single family residence? Has someone told you that you must firestop the duct penetrations? The only method that I'm aware of for firestopping non metalic flex duct is to transition it to a fire damper and then back to flex after you are through the rated wall. I'm not a residential code expert, but I haven't seen a code requiring fire stop on duct work used in a residence. If someone has seen it, I'd like more info.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Is the soffit part of the rated wall/ceiling assembly? Or is the soffit in place INSIDE of the wall you are trying to firestop and strictly in place to conceal the flex duct? Is this a single family residence? Has someone told you that you must firestop the duct penetrations? The only method that I'm aware of for firestopping non metalic flex duct is to transition it to a fire damper and then back to flex after you are through the rated wall. I'm not a residential code expert, but I haven't seen a code requiring fire stop on duct work used in a residence. If someone has seen it, I'd like more info.
Part of the Wall/Ceiling
Suggested by the Inspector (although he wasn't sure, but thought I should it done by HAVC contractor)
Single Family Residence

He also suggested transitioning to a metallic section through the wall back to flex once it is in the soffit.

I was wondering I could just stuff rockwool around it, if that would work enough...
interfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

If the soffit is part of the rated wall/ceiling assembly, then the flex duct is not penetrating the fire barrier. Unless I am missing something, where would you put the mineral wool? Can you post a picture? I've still never heard of firestopping ductwork in a single family dwelling.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote