DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

flat roof sport court

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  keymaster 
#1 · (Edited)
We're planning to replace our 1947 one small car freestanding garage. Ideally, and we're willing to scale back to be reasonable, with a 6 car (tandem) garage that has a second story apartment over the alley side 3 bays. We don't want the mass of a two story over all bays so the house side 3 bays would have a flat roof - which would be approximately level with the back of the house since we're on a slope. A sport court on the flat part of the roof is our kids dream.

My question is: Is it feasible to do this? I know we'll need to get an architect and contractor involved for hard answers but would appreciate some experienced advice on whether this is ridiculously expensive sounding/structurally a mine field compared to a simple structure with one roof.

Thx

Edited to add, well be finishing the garage ourselves (siding/paint/trim/flooring/kitchen) as we've done that in our house.

#4 ·
Certainly what you are looking for can be built. First I would check with your building inspector and zoning board to make sure it can be approved. No point spending money on design and estimating for a structure that cannot get a building permit or a variance if needed.

Costing complex, loosely defined projects is best left to the designer or the contractor, as costs will vary radically depending on location and the specifics of the project.

#2 ·
Yes it will be ridiculously expensive. It's doable, what had you planned on using for the surface of the sports court?

The structure below it will need to be able to support the weight of everything on top, plus you will have to have fencing for safety around the perimeter.

#6 ·
We're not picky about the court surface as long as a basketball can be bounced. It's for fun, not training. Also, we're fencing anyway so that's not an added expense due to the court.

So, ridiculously expensive compared to building a six car with simple roof or compared to average two story two car garage?

#7 ·
We have no pictures so where all going to have to guess.
#1, no way would I want a flat roof on a house if I had a choice!!!
Want a ball court build build one out in the yard and just have the garage built with a reguler gabled roof.

#8 ·
I guess if you can afford the 6 cars or adult toys to fill a six car garage then your definition of expensive is different than mine. My lot doesn't even have room for a six car garage without considerable variances for side lot requirements etc. anything is doable if you have the money. That being said, you will be a building a roof with the characteristics of a floor. That will be a very unique situation so I would expect to spend well into the six figures.

#9 ·
Well to bounce a basketball it would either be concrete or hard wood. Both are heavy so both would need to have extra support in the garage part.

Hard wood will not stand up well to the weather.

You could do precast concrete deck, then the membrane then pour more concrete over the top of that.

You plan on putting a 6' or higher fence on it anyway? If your thinking about just a short railing I can see that being a pain when the balls are going every place.

#11 ·
Why basketball? Think badminton.:) Or good used cars for the kids (so they can use it when they fly the nest also) and memberships to the courts. It will be cheaper and sensible. If you decide to move, you may be asked to tear it down also. Swimming pools, for example, are not always a plus.

#12 · (Edited)
replace our 1947 one small car freestanding garage. Ideally (and we're willing to scale back to be reasonable) with a 6 car (tandem) garage that has a second story apartment over the alley side 3 bays. We don't want the mass of a two story over all bays so the house side 3 bays would have a flat roof - which would be approximately level with the back of the house since we're on a slope. A sport court on the flat part of the roof is our kids dream. We'll be finishing the garage ourselves (siding/paint/trim/flooring/kitchen) as we've done that in our house.

My question is: Is it feasible to do this?
What is your budget, it's easier to tell you how much you can build with that information. Also, the site you describe sounds like it could need fill or excavation. A tandem isn't ideal for building on grade (40' wide). Consider grade and configuration. Do you have garage access from both sides or just one--the latter requires steel.

The roof deck isn't the expensive part (lightweight concrete, sufficiently stiffened deck to support, guard rail, knee wall, drain it, etc). It will add some cost. The expensive part is min. of 1800 square feet. (1 bay is 20' x 10'.) Edit: almost forgot: stairs.

My thoughts: six cars is a lot of garage, think about how many you really need. Build the kids a tree house! :thumbsup: Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.